Year 11: Harry's party

Darcy's pov

Considering that Tara had forgotten that she was supposed to be at a party, we reached quite on time. While we were pushing through the crowds trying to get through the absolutely gorgeous gates, I ran into Kay and stopped to have a little chat with them, while Tara went to wish Harry.

"Sup queen," Kay said, fist bumping me.

"Slaying," I winked, but I was distracted by an uproar in the direction Tara had gone.

"Yo wait here, there is someone you gotta meet," I heard Harry say and I felt my blood boil. I had to exercise great control to prevent myself from rushing up to her.

"I invited your brother to the drag tonight," Kay said. "There is a drag today?" I asked, my ears still trained on what was going on the other end of the room.

"Yeah, sorry I didn't invite you, reckoned your brother needs some time to himself," they explained. As if it even bothered me at that moment.

"Yeah, good idea," I said, turning to look at Tara. Nick Nelson had appeared on the scene. I glanced at the clock. Two more minutes and I am going over to grab her.

When I turned back to Kay, I realized they were giving me a lopsided grin. They leaned over and said, "Is that the secret girlfriend?"

"Hoping it won't be secret for long," I said, then remembering what we had been taking about, "Wait, if there is a drag at your place, how are you here?"

They tilted their head, "Let's just say, I am a master at time management."

"Clearly," I said, then looked at the clock again. It was not two minutes yet, but it was long enough, "Okay, gotta go."

"Go get your girl," they said, raising their glass as I stomped over to Tara, and threw my arm around her neck in the friendliest manner I possibly could.

"Wanna dance?" I asked, simultaneously glancing at Nick with what I was hoping was a nasty expression. I mean, I don't think it turned out to be a nasty expression in the end, but whatever, the intent matters.

"Yes, please," Tara said, wrapping her arm around my waist, "Gotta go." Tara and Nick exchange one final smile in a way that made me realise something had just happened here.

As we walked away I leaned over to her ear, "What just happened?"

"I came out to him," Tara said, smiling shyly.

I squinted my eyes as I tried to process it, "You mean, you told him you're a lesbian?"

"I told him you're my girlfriend," Tara said, "He told me he is friends with Charlie Spring. Very close friends apparently."

I raised my eyebrows, "Friends with Charlie Spring or friends with Charlie Spring?"

Tara rolled her eyes, "What does it matter. He will tell us if he needs to."

Tara stopped walking suddenly and I stopped beside her. "What happened?" I asked, then looked around me. It was an empty...corridor? "Wait, where are we?"

"The perfect place," Tara said simply and then pulled me up to her and kissed me.

"I love you so so much," she said as her hand went up and down my arm. I felt the touch reverberate down my spine, "Don't ever doubt that."

"I don't," I said. Now that the original shock had worn off, I leaned into the kiss as well. It felt good. Really good.

Suddenly we heard someone talking and both of us literally sprang apart.

"Look, I'm sorry about what happened. Have you finished sulking about it?"

"Leave me alone."

I frowned at Tara and mouthed the word Charlie? Tara shrugged.

"Oh, come on..."

"Do not touch me!"

I jumped for the second time at this. Something was wrong. If I heard one more shout, I was gonna run over to the source.

But we only heard some footsteps and then it was eerie quiet, like nothing had happened at all. We stayed alert for a couple of moments before Tara exhaled.

"What was that?" she said softly.

"No idea," I said, "But I'm pretty sure Charlie Spring was one of them. Dunno about the other." I paused, "Could it be Nick?"

"No way," Tara said, "I know his voice."

"Well, then, it was surely someone we would not want to meet," I said.

"Shit," Tara said. She grabbed my hand and placed it on her chest, "My heart can't stop beating."

"It better not," I said and quickly realized it was an awfully bad time to crack such a joke.

"Darcy, you know what I meant," Tara huffed, crossing her arms in front of her.

"I do know what you meant," I said, leaning over and kissing her cheek to make up for it. "Let's go, I don't like the vibes here."

"Yeah," Tara agreed.

Tara and I walked out of the corridor and went back to where the crowd was. The crowd was open. The crowd felt safe.

"Hey, wanna go grab a drink?" I suggested, "It will calm your nerves."

"No I'm good," Tara said, "You get some though?"

"Nah," I said, "One of us drunk and the other sober is gonna be horrible. Either we both drink or neither." I knew that from quite some experience now.

"Alright-y," Tara said, wrapping her arm around my waist and pulling me close to her. I casually threw my arm around her shoulders and kissed her cheek quickly. Immediately, Tara's cheeks heated up and she stared shyly at the floor, making me crack a smile.

We had barely gotten over the former shock, when we heard some more raised voices. This time, they were in the middle of the crowd.

"Oh bother," I said, looking at the source of the sound.