[18] Evers against Nevers

And all at once the situation at the School for Good and Evil came to a head. Soon it was no longer just Lesso who was really living up to her title as Dean for Evil, but also her students, the Nevers, whose moods were also getting worse and worse. The common meals of the two schools sank further and further into a disorganized chaos, some shouting loudly throughout the hall, others merely throwing their food at others. But the climax of it all was the fight between a couple of young gentlemen, in the middle of the cold stone floor and in front of everyone else.

One of the Never boys had jumped up from his seat and lunged at a young prince who had given the other a brief challenging look. Now the young prince was lying on the ground while the Never boy kept beating on him. Single drops of blood landed on the rocks, the young prince lay defenseless on the ground and was about to lose consciousness. And while the others tried to get through to them, they were pushed back by the other Nevers.

"That's enough!" shouted Dovey loudly, the dean had stood up and managed to silence the whole hall. Y/N, meanwhile, had rushed up to her student and helped him to his feet after the other had let go of him. Without saying anything she tended to his inflicted wounds, he looked bad and pretty banged up, but luckily the damage wasn't too bad to worry about seriously.

Y/N looked over to the table where Lesso was sitting and she saw that the other was even smiling contentedly. Satisfied at the mess her students had made here. It was clear that Lesso approved of evil deeds like a little brawl, but Y/N had not thought her so cruel.

Y/N hardly recognized her, and she couldn't believe how quickly this beautiful beginning of the school year had turned into something so terrible.

"Come on, let's go so we can take a closer look at your injuries" she then spoke softly to the young prince and supported him a little as they walked out of the dining hall. Lesso's cold eyes were on her the whole time, watching her disappear.

...

The next few days became more and more tense, not a day went by without good and evil dueling with each other, but this time their magic was also involved, so that both sides were injured more and more. And from Lesso? There was no trace of the red-haired dean of the school for evil, she had withdrawn completely into her school and also no longer appeared at the meals.

It broke Y/N's heart that Lesso had changed so much all of a sudden. She felt lonely, alone, when she was surrounded by so many of her friends, colleagues and students. Sometimes at night she would sit in her bed, staring at the wooden ceiling, unable to stop the tears from running down her cheek, because all she wanted was to be back in Lesso's arms. There, where she had always felt so safe and secure. She wished she could see that adorable smile again that Lesso always gave her when Y/N had said something funny.

But all that was gone now and nothing remained but a memory. "Oh Lesso, I wish you could tell me where our love has gone." But for her it was certain that something must have happened, because otherwise Lesso would certainly not have changed so drastically. Or else she had just imagined the whole thing, even if she deeply believed that she could not have been so wrong about Lesso. Not after their kiss that had brought them back safely at the Trial by Tale.

That evening, Dovey had called a meeting of all the teachers at the School for Good. The sun had just disappeared behind the horizon when the door to the meeting room opened and Y/N entered. She was one of the last to be absent, so she merely greeted the others with a softly muttered "Hello" before sitting down at the long table next to Damian, who had beckoned her to join him.

Throughout the last few days, he had been the one who had been able to cheer Y/N up the best. Even Dovey had failed at what he had managed to do, and that was why Y/N was incredibly grateful to him. The young man hadn't been at the school too long, but Y/N had already found a close confidant and good friend in him. Something she really appreciated.