[24] Partners in crime

Time passed quickly and soon it was time to activate the students' finger glow. The finger glow was the trait that allowed the young heroes and villains to use their magical powers. Y/N remembered too well the day she had received her first finger glow. She and Dovey had been incredibly excited and had barely been able to sleep that night. She still remembered how they had come up with the wildest theories and speculated what exactly it was they were going to do with their abilities.

It was nice to watch the great hall fill up more and more and soon there was life in those lonely halls again. Y/N stood further back with the other teachers and let her eyes wander once over the excited faces of the students. On one side sat the Evers, striking as they so often did in their pastel dresses and robes, an excited whisper passing through the rows with them.

And on the other side sat the Nevers, bleak and somber faces with a small hint of excitement. Even for them, this day was special, she could see that in their faces.

"Well, well, well, look who we have here. Where did you leave Lesso, shouldn't she be here by now?" One of the teachers at the School for Good had appeared next to Y/N, drawing the young woman's attention. Y/N didn't know much about her, even back when she had taught at the School for Good herself, she had had little to do with the woman and had never bothered to learn her name. But ever since Y/N had switched to the Nevers' side, every now and then a small tease would open up between the two.

"I have no idea where Lesso is, she told me she had something important to do. She'll show up in a minute for sure." Y/N was giving the other a quick glance from the side, she could already guess where this conversation would lead.
"Well I hope so for her sake, it would be a shame should she be late. Otherwise you're always hanging on each other and never without the other."

Yes, with her the relationship between Y/N and Lesso was still not welcomed, which was one of the reasons for the constant arguments. But with time and some help from Lesso, Y/N had learned to ignore these accusations and prejudices, so now she merely shrugged her shoulders slightly. "I guess not today then. Now if you'll excuse me, I have better things to do."

And only when Y/N had put some distance between herself and the other teacher did she exhale in relief. Feeling relieved that she was finally rid of her. "Arrogant bitch."

A short time later, Lesso had also appeared and stepped forward to Dovey's side. Even though she looked to the others like everything was normal, Y/N knew better. She had spent so much time with the red-haired dean and by now knew exactly when something was on her mind or was bothering her. It was the little details: the way Lesso's brow furrowed thoughtfully, the slight twitch of the corners of her mouth, and the darkened eyes that usually shone so full of energy. Y/N knew something must have been going on, and it probably had something to do with why she was late.

Y/N watched from afar as the two schools gathered into two long lines in front of the two deans.
"Evers, fear not, for good feels no pain" hummed Dovey good spiritedly as she unlocked the magical powers of the first young girl.

"Nevers." Lesso chuckled once quietly. "It's going to hurt." And with that, she sank the silver needle deep into Hester's fingertip. Even Y/N could see from her seat how the young girl flinched slightly.

She herself had never given much thought to what it might be like for the Nevers. Y/N only remembered the slight tingle in her fingertip when the needle touched it. No pain and no suffering. Only a winged and invigorated feeling remained. A feeling she thought that she was capable of doing anything.

Now that she saw the iron needle piercing through the finger, she frowned a little. She didn't even want to imagine what kind of pain it must be and she was glad that it was different for her.