[9] Nights at the windowpane

The days passed and with each one that passed, the mood became more and more unpleasant. Everyone seemed to notice that something must have happened, because Y/N was now much stricter in her teaching and there was little sign of her friendly and kind nature.

Dovey had also noticed this change and had often tried to talk to Y/N, but so far without success. Her friend was more withdrawn than ever and the dean could only guess what the change in behavior might have to do with. But not only had Y/N changed over the days, Lesso had as well. Ever since Dovey had brought up the matter back in that room, the redhead had been in nothing but a bad mood, yelling at anything and anyone who got too close to her and seeming much like the old, evil dean of the School for Evil again.

Class was over and Y/N was on her way to her room to retire. She had spent a lot of time in there thinking and crying since the thing with Lesso. The thing between her and Lesso hadn't even been anything solid. They had only kissed once before, after all, and never really defined how they stood with each other now, but she still felt betrayed. Betrayed and used. And the worst part of it all? She still couldn't get Lesso out of her head. This woman with her impossibly pretty face was constantly in Y/N's thoughts and she wished that it was all just a bad dream from which she would soon wake up. She didn't want to, but she still loved Lesso as she had since the beginning.

Outside it was cold and stormy, the spring showed up again this year particularly rainy, but it did not bother Y/N in the least. Quite the opposite. The young woman enjoyed the pattering of the rain on the gutters, which seemed to produce their own little melody. She liked to sit in front of a burning stove and see the world bathed in cool wetness, from which new life eventually blossomed.
The rain had always been soothing to her, and so it was today that she made herself comfortable with a little book and a candle, looking out the window now and then at the individual little drops running down.

Y/N knew that Dovey was at a meeting, she had told her at breakfast today. While Y/N didn't know exactly what this meeting was actually about, she could only guess that it was about the same topic she had talked about with Lesso the other day. To this day, she didn't know who or what they were talking about, but by now she didn't care.

It was getting late and Y/N had no idea how long she had actually been sitting there in her chair reading, but she got up after a while and made her way to the adjoining bathroom to get ready for bed.
Gently, she brushed the dress off her skin before reaching for the silky nightgown that had been laid out especially for her. It gently clung to her skin and fit her body perfectly. Y/N loosened the light hair ornament that had held her hairstyle together before her hair fell open over her shoulders.

The young woman extinguished all light and merely lit her way to her bed with a small candle. She placed this on her nightstand and settled down on the large bed, which immediately welcomed her in a pleasant warmth. Y/N let herself sink back into the pillows and closed her eyes, hoping for the sleep that would free her from her suffering and take her back to her dream world. Away from Lesso and any problems that awaited her in real life.

Y/N was almost asleep when she heard a knock on the window pane. Not quite sure if it was in her dream or in reality, she didn't react at first, but the knock sounded again, this time much louder than the first time. Drowsy, Y/N opened her eyes and slowly sat up in her bed. Tired, she rubbed her eyes until her gaze fell on her window.

All at once she was wide awake and startled, she rose from her bed, incredulous at who was squatting outside her window, in the middle of the pouring rain and at an inconceivable height where no one would have dared to go. "Lesso?!" At that moment, she wasn't sure how to react. Sure, she was surprised that the other had shown up here in the middle of the night, and in this weather to boot, but she was still hurt and angry and didn't really feel like talking to the redhead. She had after all made her point very clear.