Tragedy

When you were younger, you always craved attention. For as long as you could remember, you have been plagued with this constant feeling of proving your suffering. For one person to realize that everything wasn't always rainbows and unicorns. Maybe it was because your parents ignored you or because you always seemed like the background character, but that nagging was always inside your head.

Even as a child, you found yourself hoping for a tragedy. Like a broken bone that needed surgery or a cancer diagnosis or even something as brutal as a car crash.

If any of those things happened to you, maybe, just maybe someone would see you. Because people understand the danger of those situations. Everyone understands the line between life and death. Everyone would finally understand what was going on inside your head and be able to know that you were suffering.

But no tragedy ever happened.

And as you grew older and you learned more about yourself and the world around you, the nagging started to fade away. It was slow at first. Maybe you didn't feel the nagging for a few seconds. But now, it was basically gone.

The only reason you even remember that nagging feeling, was because that tragedy happened today. And all you could think about was how you wished for it. You wished for your best friend's death.

Now sitting at some bar in New Orleans, you could only blame yourself for her death. And after each little reminder of her death, that nagging started to come back. And the same thoughts that you wished for as a child, were the ones you never wanted now.

"It seems like your brain is about to explode."

You smiled to yourself, never looking over at the man who owned the voice.

"Yeah well, it very well could be."

"I would hate to see that happen."

You finally turned in your seat, glancing at the man who just sat down next to you.

"If you don't mind me asking, what's got that pretty head of yours spinning."

You laughed again, fully turning to face the man.

"You're asking for my deepest secrets and you don't even know my name."

He smiled, chuckling a little to himself as he made eye contact with you.

"So your name would be?"

"Hm, I don't know. I was taught to never talk to strangers."

"I wouldn't say we're strangers anymore love."

"Y/N."

"Well Y/N, I'm Nik. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I think you can tell me that big dark secret."

"And what makes you so intrigued?"

"Pretty girl at a bar looking very troubled. Just trying to help."

"So you're looking for someone easy?"

He laughed, throwing his head back and then looking back at you.

"Not exactly what I was thinking. I had a friend who worked here and offered advice to her best costumers. Just trying to follow in her footsteps."

You eyes welled, thinking back to your best friend.

"Yeah, I know exactly who you're talking about."

"Oh, so that's whats troubling you then?"

"It's not everyday your best friend passes away."

You laughed half heartedly, a tear slipping down your face before you quickly swipe it away. You feel him grab your hand, running his thumb back and forth.