Last Day

TW- mentions of death and allusions to cancer

***

"Nik I don't think you're understanding me."

"What is there to understand? I am going to find the Bennett witch to give you a cure. She's brought people back to life, I'm sure she can do something about your situation. And you are going to stay here and rest until I get back."

You looked up at him, tears starting to brim your eyes.

"I don't have that time."

He starts to pace back and forth, running a hand through his hair.

"Why are you saying this? It will only be a day or two. You are going to live much longer than that."

You try to move off the bed, going to stand in front of him, but your legs give out from under you. But you never fall.

"Nik look at me."

When he doesn't comply, you raise your hand to his face and turn it towards you. His eyes instantly look at your slimming face.

"My eyes."

"What?"

You push the stray hair out of his face, but it immediately goes back to where it was.

"Look at my eyes. They haven't changed."

When he locks eyes with you, you smile slightly.

"I don't have a day or two. I have today. And what I want to do is say my goodbyes to our friends and your family. And I want to eat dinner with Hope. And spend time with you."

You see his eyes now filling with tears and he starts to shake his head.

"You have more than today. Today is not your last."

"It is. I can tell."

"How? How do you even know?"

"I'm telling you that this is it. I can feel it. And I'm ok with today being my last, if you are by my side."

"I'm not ready. I need you here."

And thats when the tears start to fall, on both of your faces. But for different reasons.

"I shouldn't have gotten involved with you. I knew my fate. I should've left my life the way it was."

Klaus sits you back down on the bed before pacing around the room again.

"How can you say that? How can you regret the last few months of our lives?"

"I don't regret it on my part. But I do regret making you fall in love with me when I knew how much time I had left. I regret making Hope get attached to me when I knew I couldn't be in her life forever. I regret becoming so close to your siblings when I knew I was making them face another loss. I'm sorry for pushing my illness on all of you. But I don't regret spending my last few months with you. With all of you. I'm not sure regret is even the right word to be using. I just wish things were different."

Klaus came and sat next to you, pulling you to him. He kisses the top of your head, letting his lips linger for awhile.

"I don't regret anything. I don't regret you meeting my daughter and helping shape her into the woman she is today. I don't regret the life lessons you've taught her or the time that you've spent with her. In all honesty I think she's a better person because she met you. And I don't regret you meeting my siblings because you've helped fulfill them in ways that they haven't been fulfilled in, in many years."

You look up at him, furrowing your eyebrows as to ask him a question.

"With Rebekah, you gave her a true friend. One that she has been looking for since the day she knew what a friend was. With Elijah, you've helped him move away from his past and the red door. With Kol, you made him feel loved and welcomed. With Freya, you made her feel like she was finally a true part of the family. And even with Finn for the small amount of time you knew him, you made him feel like he could be who he wanted to be while also being a vampire. You've helped my family more in the past 8 months than anybody else could do in 1,000 years. You are our savior, so no, I don't regret you coming into our lives and then leaving."

You pulled his head down to meet yours so you could lean up and kiss him. It was a short kiss but both of you knew what the kiss meant.

"If you knew your last day was gonna be you last, wouldn't you want it to be the best day surrounded by the people you loved?"

"I will give you the day that you want. Whatever it is, however extraordinary, I will give it to you. I want you to have the perfect last day. So how does your perfect day start?"

"First lets start by calling everyone. Like all of your family and all of our friends."

"They're outside the door."

You scoffed, laughing at him, but when he didn't laugh back you knew he wasn't kidding.

"How long have they been out there?"

"When I started to say the word understand."

You laughed, raising your voice as much as you could to say,

"You can come in now."

The door opened, revealing all of the Mikaelson siblings- excluding Finn because he died right after you met him-, Marcel, Hayley, Cami, and even Hope. All of them with tears on their face.

"Oh god. Please don't make me cry again."

They all laughed at you, but none of them even made the effort to stop their tears.

"We won't go the entire day without a few tears."

You laughed at Rebekah's comment, knowing that this was going to be the best last day ever.

AN- I'm semi back? Idk how often I'll be updating but I do have a few ideas for other parts🤷‍♀️

Idk is anyone still even reading this anymore tbh?