Joking

"Elijah should I even really be here?"

"Well you did promise to help me make Hayley jealous?"

"Yeah but did I make the right decision to come here? I mean, my ex husband is in here somewhere and your thing or whatever is supposed to be my friend."

Elijah stops walking with you but you don't notice until you're a few steps in front of him. You turn around, noticing the saddened look on his face.

"If you don't want to do this I can take you home."

You smiled softly at him while walking back towards him. You wrapped your arms around his neck as his immediately wrapped around your waist.

"No no no, I made a promise to you. I'm just nervous. Now lets act all coupley and make Hayley jealous."

"Thank you again. And for what its worth, I wanted to do this with someone i'm comfortable with. Plus Hayley knows our past."

You throw your head back laughing, remembering the times you and Elijah had. Your laughing starts to stop after you notice Elijah's face.

"Eli, I'm sorry about what happened all those years ago. I never meant to play with your heart."

He smiles slightly at you, but you can tell by his eyes that it still bothers him.

"It's ok. I ran without you and I should've done a better job looking for you."

"It's not your fault. I just, I don't know what happened. It was like one night Klaus was your brother and then the next he was-"

"He was Nik. I get it y/n, I give you my word."

"We would've been a good couple though."

"I honestly believe we are better off as best friends. Plus I don't know a single soul better than you who knows how to handle my brother better."

"Yeah yeah, always so sappy. It's showtime."

***

You would be lying if you said you didn't dress to impress. Not only did you know you would be alone after successfully making Hayley jealous, but you knew Klaus would be here. And you knew he loved this type of dress.

You jumped up, startled when you felt a presence behind you grabbing your hips. You knew instantly who it was when he lowered his head to your neck.

"Wear whatever you want love. I can fight."

You turned around in his arms coming face to face with Klaus. You patted his cheek as you say,

"I'm not yours to fight for."

"It doesn't matter who you came with, by the end of the night you certainly will be."

He smirked at you as he started to slowly walk backwards, letting his grip on your hips go.

"Very funny."

"Who said I was joking?"

You watched as the smirk on his face grew and some part of you wished that he was right.

***

You walked out of the compound, not even 15 minutes later, when you knew Elijah was good for the night. You had thought you made it out of the party without anyone noticing you but you were proven wrong when you heard your name and heavy footsteps behind you. You felt a hand grip your wrist and you knew exactly who it was before you turned around.

"You're leaving this early?"

"My job here is done. I don't see any other reason to stay."

And as soon as the words flew out of your mouth, you knew you had given yourself up. And you were now proven correct when Klaus' lips lifted into a smirk.

"So thats what tonight was? A job? I knew you and Elijah would never."

"Just because we wouldn't and tonight was merely a plan, doesn't mean I'm still yours."

"You could be."

You dropped your head, taking a few steps back.

"We've talked about this before."

"No," he brought his hands up to cup your face, making sure you were looking at him. "You talked about this. I just sat there and listened. Now it's your turn to listen."

"Come-"

"That's not listening love."

"Alright."

"I'm sorry for not treating you the way that you deserve. In my own twisted way, I thought I was loving you the way that you deserved to be loved. But if I've learned anything in the past couple of months, it's that I wasn't. I didn't focus on what I was giving you because I was too focused on what I was gaining. My intentions didn't match my actions. And I know that there were times where I did things selflessly just because I knew you would like it. But I know that there were more times where I did things because I knew I would get something out of it."

He takes a deep breath and watches as the tears start to fall out of your eyes.

"And as I made these realizations, I knew that I wasn't right for you at the time. So while you may be the great love of my life, I'm ok with not being yours. But I do hope you can forgive me as I learn to forgive myself for what I did to you. I'll always be thankful for you because you helped me learn one of the most important lessons in life. And while I might not have been the best person for you at the time and I might never be, I can't stop myself from asking you to love me. Because I want to be able to treat you the way you deserve. Because I want to be able to prove that I can love you with all that I have. But most of all, I want you to be happy. And I'll understand if that isn't with me."

You couldn't stop the tears streaming down your face as he looked at you with hope in his eyes. You couldn't stop your heart from swelling at every word he said, which is why you ended up pushing up against him and kissing him. The kiss was short, but it was full of passion and love. And you knew you had made the right choice.

"I told you I wasn't joking."