Somewhere in my Memory

You rushed out of the office, checking the time on your watch to see you were running late and started to feel a void forming at the pit of your stomach.

"Hey..."

A blue umbrella protects you from the cold rain and you turn to see none other than a familiar silhouette behind you and fall into its embrace.

"I almost thought you weren't gonna show up... heh. I got pretty worried when you weren't answering any of my calls." Sans softly spoke, closing his sockets and pressing his teeth to your forehead as a form of affection.

You press yourself closer to him for his warmth and comfort without realising, and worried pinpricks look down at your shaking form.

"Let's get you home, sweetie." He says with a wink, and the rain stops as you find yourself standing alone in your living room.

Sans shuffles out of the bathroom with a towel and gently presses the soft fabric to your wet hair as he stares into your eyes, and you lean in to lightly kiss him.

His smile softens as he carefully puts a skeletal hand on your waist before pulling away with a sigh. "You're gonna get sick like that... Why don't you take care of yourself in the bathroom first? I'll be right here when you're done."

You slowly nod and take the towel and some dry clothes with you, looking back one last time to see the reassuring smile he gave before closing the door behind you.

He sat down on your couch when your phone on the table next to it started to ring and he opened one of his closed sockets to see the caller ID.

Toriel is calling...

"What's up, Tori?" Sans answered for you, leaning back on the cushions.

"Sans, is that you?" Toriel's voice asked from the other end. "Where is Y/n? I must tell them something."

"They're just taking a shower. It's really pouring out there." He briefly explained, glancing out the window to see drops of rain pattering against the glass. "Is something wrong?"

"Chara has run away and Frisk went after them." Toriel sighed. "Perhaps I should have let Y/n be the one to tell them about the divorce."

"Welp, I'm sure you did a great job telling them..." Sans opened his sockets again. "But do you think this can wait a while? Y/n's not feeling well right now."

"Of course!" Toriel agreed. "I will take care of this and let them know later. Oh, and please make sure they rest well."

"I'd love to meet this Y/n of yours over a cup of tea when they are feeling better." A deep voice cut in. "Do bring them to my flower shop sometime."

"Do not rush them." Toriel sternly said before muttering a quick goodbye and ending the call.

"Sans, who was that?"

Sans looked up to see you in a red sweater with a black cardigan over it as opposed to the soaked suit you were just in.

"Just Tori telling you to rest up." He shrugged and patted the spot next to him. "C'mere..."

He slowly raised an arm to bring you closer to him, sinking back in the couch as you felt your soul slow down to pulse in time with his.

"It's nice having someone to do nothing with..." He started in a low voice. "Everyone's busy doing their own things. Places to go, people to see..."

"I like having quiet time with you..." You snuggle into his hoodie that had the faint smell of rain and chisps.

"You know… I've been having some nightmares of that time in the last corridor. I almost lost ya back there." He opened a socket to see you. "It really bothers me to think that… in some timelines that could've been the last time I ever saw you and I didn't do anything about it."

"Sans..." You shifted slightly in his arms. "I'm here, now..."

"Goodnight, kiddo." Sans hummed and a comfortable silence fell between you until your phone rang.

Toriel is calling...

"I hope they are doing alright..." Toriel worriedly put down the phone.

"Young love..." Asgore dreamily sighed. "Do you remember our honeymoon where we first..."

"Asgore Dreemurr! Do not bring that up at a time like this or in the future." Toriel gave him a cold glare. "The divorce has not yet been finalised, but those old days are in the past."

「Chara POV」

Chara stood alone in the busy street, looking around at the happy couples smiling and sharing umbrellas going out to dinner or window shopping.

"Why don't I get a happy ending?" Chara quietly spoke as they looked up at the grey, starless sky and felt hatred growing inside of them.

They always hated humans, but now realise they hated people in general as monsters were no exception.

"Chara!" Frisk's voice could be heard as another child came running forward to stand next to them in a quiet street. "Even though you don't like me right now, I want you to know you can still be happy if you just try."

They didn't say anything and gritted their teeth as silent tears rolled down their rosy cheeks.

"Just because Mom and Dad stopped loving each other doesn't mean they're gonna stop loving us." Frisk explained. "We're still a family even if we live in separate houses."

"Don't act like you care!" Chara cried as they shoved Frisk away from them.

"Don't you think Toriel was hurt too when you left her for Y/n?" Frisk told them with tears in their closed eyes. "You were her first human child and it wasn't easy to let you go, but for your happiness she did. Why can't you let her be happy too?"

Hearing them sigh, Frisk looked up to see Chara holding a hand out to them, slowly helping them back up.

"Let's go home."

_______________________________________

Chara is looking around at the happy couples sharing umbrellas in the rain, and the beginning of the chapter showed Sans and Y/n sharing an umbrella. What Chara wanted in their life actually does exist and they just need to be patient enough to see it. Toriel and Asgore are one set of parents, but Y/n and Sans are another set of "parents" Chara has now.