Return to Surface

You stirred under the harsh rays of the morning sun pouring in through the window, using a pillow that was just like yours to protect your face from the brightness.

"Rise and shine, idiot." Flowey loomed over you, causing you to fall off the bed. "It's a beautiful day outside. Birds are singing, flowers are blooming. On days like these, idiots like you should be..."

G e t t i n g   o u t   o f   b e d .

"The barrier..." You mumbled, sitting up and rubbing your head. "The barrier is broken?"

"The barrier broke two years ago." The flower stuck his tongue out with a wink. "You didn't forget, did ya?"

You slowly shook your head before pulling out your soul to check it, letting it float idly between your hands as it radiated with determination.

「Sans POV」

Sans yawned and lazily zipped up his hoodie halfway as he locked the front door behind him with a click.

No one really stole anything in Snowdin, or the Underground for that matter. The surface was another story.

He stopped at two mailboxes, one empty and the other overflowing with unread mail that he assumed was spam advertising from MTT.

"Huh... When was the last time I checked the mail?" Sans hummed as he collected the mail into his arms and teleported back inside with it, dropping the envelopes and flyers onto the coffee table and plopping himself down on the couch. "Lets see here... MTT ads, expired coupons for Spider Donuts, fan mail... Heh, I was wondering where that sock went."

His eye lights skim past the junk mail until they stop at a blue envelope with the word sorry in purple ink on the back.

I'm sorry for breaking our promise. I really missed the Underground and I wasn't ready to move onto the surface after all the resets. I used to feel strong in the Underground with all the monsters, but on the surface with the other humans I feel so weak and pathetic. I'm really not that strong. It was hard to watch my monster friends get hurt on the surface everyday and I started to hate humans. Letting monsters continue to live Underground forever without me seemed like the right thing to do. While you were Underground I tried to find Y/n for help... but they were gone. I realised I made a mistake and restored the file before the reset to fix everything back to the way it was.

「Y/n POV」

Chara burst out of their bedroom, shoving their other arm into their uniform jacket as they stumbled into the kitchen and widened their eyes.

"That's too cold! Do you know how to water a flower?!" Flowey growled.

"It's room temperature." You told him, putting down the empty glass.

"The room temperature is cold..." Flowey muttered, crossing his leaves for arms, and you hummed as you placed him by the window under the warm sun.

"Y/n!" Chara wrapped their arms around you in a hug as tears formed in their eyes when you smiled and patted their head. "Why didn't you tell me you could fight?"

"Because fighting is wrong." You tell them. "I try to avoid it when I can."

You turned on the television to see it was just as you left it on the morning news from the monster network.

"Back here live at the brand new MTT Hotel with one of the guests..." The box shaped robot turned the microphone to the random monster next to him. "What do you think, darling?"