Flower King

"Dum dee dum..." Asgore hummed as he watered his flowers when a soft bell rang, letting him know someone had entered his humble shop. "Well howdy, Sans. What brings you here?"

"Heya, Gorey." Sans casually strolled in with his hands in his pockets. "Flower you today?"

"Better than usual." He kindly smiles. "Why not talk over a nice cup of tea?"

"Sure thing, buddy." Sans closes one eye in a friendly wink and follows him to a cozy table while the soft sound of water boiling fills the room. "So, uh... how's the flower business?"

"Oh, good..." Asgore answers after a brief pause and pours the tea. "And how is your brother doing?"

"Paps is doing okay, but he's been kinda down lately..." Sans spoke as a cup of golden flower tea was placed in front of him with a light clink. "What flowers would ya recommend for a first date?"

"A... date?" Asgore said as a gentle smile spread across his face for the first time since coming to the surface. "Golly, I never would have expected to hear that from you, Sans. What is this date of yours like?"

"Heh... They're a lot of things." Sans said as he looked into the reflection in the golden tea staring back at him. "They smile at my jokes, and take care of the kid even though they work a full time job."

The king had difficulty swallowing his tea as a heavy feeling weighed down his chest, unable to comprehend what he was hearing from his most trusted friend, the only one who seemed to understand his hardships other than his ex-wife.

"Sans..." Asgore shakily put down his cup of tea with a loud clang, causing the hot liquid to spill out the sides. "Who is this monster, may I ask?"

"Welp..." Sans broke the news to him, nervously sweating a bit from the tension, and closed his sockets. "It's actually not a monster."

"... A human?" Asgore felt his senses come flooding back when he realised it was merely a misunderstanding, and Sans slowly nodded. "Why didn't you say so? I almost thought you were talking about the ex-queen."

They shared a lighthearted laugh before Sans spoke. "Geez, Fluffybuns, I know you're still tryna get over her but Tori's just a friend, nothing more. C'mon, I wouldn't do that to you."

"I suppose I did think out of line for a moment there..." Asgore sighed with a glimmer of hope in his eyes. "Perhaps this relationship of yours could be the future of monsterkind."

"Whoa, slow down Gorey." Sans raised his hands in defence as his pinpricks shrunk. "I don't think we should put that kind of pressure on the human. That wouldn't be fair."

"Of course..." Asgore nodded and got up from his seat, and Sans followed suit as he walked him through the flowers, stopping at an assortment of red roses. "Roses are a classic flower for dates and romance."

"Do ya have anything a little less formal?" Sans asked, eyeing the other flowers around the shop. "That's a bit much for a first date. I don't wanna stress them out or anything."

"How about golden flowers?" Asgore then suggested with a kind smile. "They would brighten up anyone's day."

"I think golden flowers are the last thing they wanna see, Gorey..." Sans awkwardly chuckled and strolled ahead. "Bad memories, ya know?"

"The poor human..." Asgore sympathetically said. "They're very lucky to have someone like you."

"Nah, I'm the lucky one." Sans winked. "Good luck with Tori and all. I'm rootin' for ya."

「Y/n POV」

You checked inside your bag to make sure everything was there as you left the office, when you were stopped by an administrative assistant.

"I know you have a lot going on right now, but you know that candidate from last week?"

"The one I specifically told you not to hire?" You pinched the bridge of your nose in frustration. "I have plans tonight. Can we do this tomorrow?"

"The team went ahead and hired them because they were related to one of the executives, and the employees are really mad right now." The assistant told you with an apologetic smile. "People are complaining they haven't been paid and it's a disaster. We need your help right away in payroll management."

Y/n
I won't be able to pick you up today.

Y/n
Do you want to stay over at Toriel's?

Chara
Work again?

Y/n
I'll be home all weekend.

Chara
Okay. =)

Chara closed the door behind them and entered the house with a smile to greet their goat mom with a hug.

"Why, hello Chara. It's so good to see you again." Toriel warmly smiled as she returned the embrace. "Is it not hard with Y/n working all the time?"

"Sometimes." Chara indifferently said. "I want to work like Y/n when I grow up and control everyone below me."

"Well, that's very ambitious of you." Toriel warily commented with an uneasy chuckle before sending a soft glare to the goat man at the table. "Your father and I have something very important to discuss with you."

Chara and Frisk gave each other dirty looks as they sat across from each other, and a chair lightly dragged against the floor as Toriel took a seat.

"I love your father very much, I do..." Toriel started, holding Asgore's hand over the table as he looked down with a serious look on his face. "But not all marriages are happy..."

"What..." Chara gritted their teeth, realising where it was going. "What did I do wrong?"

"You did nothing wrong, my child." Toriel hushed them, only for the child to pick up their knife and stab it into the table.

"Then it's all Frisk's fault!" Chara cried, taking their knife and pointing it at the other child who had their head hung low. "If you just listened to me and everybody died, this wouldn't have happened."

"We wouldn't even be here if everybody died." Frisk argued back.

"At least they would die as a family like it was supposed to be!" Chara gripped the knife tight in their hand.

"Oh, dear..." Asgore tried to calm his two adoptive children arguing over the divorce. "Your mother and I made it very clear when discussing this beforehand that neither of you should feel you are to blame."

"Then whose fault is it?!" Chara screamed with tears streaming down their face.

"Well, if your father hadn't killed those poor children for his selfish desires we might still be together..." Toriel glanced over to the other goat monster with disgust.

"I did not want to do it just as much as you, but there was no other option." Asgore defended himself. "We wouldn't have made it to the surface if it had been done any other way."

"So it was my fault..." Chara said in a broken voice, dropping the knife with a clang and quietly laughing. "If my plan to free the monsters succeeded back then, none of this would have ever happened."

"Chara, wait!" Toriel called out with tears in her eyes as the child ran out of the house into the heavy downpour of rain without a coat.

"I'll go after them." Frisk said with a determined look on their face.

_______________________________________

Chara had a plan to free the monsters when they were originally alive. They became ill and died, but asked Asriel to take their soul and cross the barrier where he could put their body in a bed of their favourite golden flowers and bring back seven souls to break the barrier. The plan failed and both children died. Chara blames themself for Toriel and Asgore's divorce because they are fighting over what happened when Chara and Asriel died.