4th Arc Part 8: Poisonous Lie

A/N: 'I'm gonna try to just push through until the end since it's in sight'.

Me: Looks at the five months of not writing.

"...Well that was a lie, apparently."

Yes, I'm back. Sorry for not updating in so long. The worst kind of mixture of writer's block and life being a pain in the ass got in the way, and then I got sidetracked by a million other things. I'm back and I'm hoping I can get back to a steady schedule again.

===============================================================================

CLASS TRIAL IN SESSION

"Ahem! Now then, let's begin with a basic explanation of the class trial! During the trial, you'll present your arguments for who the culprit is, and vote for 'whodunnit'. Vote correctly, and only the blackened will be punished. But if you pick the wrong person, I'll punish everyone besides the blackened, and that person will graduate from this academy! Also, refusing to vote will result in your death, so you better vote for someone!" Monokuma told us before sighing. "Man... You guys must be pretty stupid if you need me to keep repeating that every trial..."

"Hey! We never asked you to-!"

"Well then, now that I've covered our bases let's get this party started!" Monokuma cut Tenko off as he cheered excitedly. "Isn't this exciting, Monodam?"

"..."

"Oh c'mon, Monodam. You could at least play along with me this one time."

"..."

"Fine! Be that way! See if I care!" Monokuma growled as he looked back at us. "Well? What are you guys waiting for? Hurry up and discuss the case already!"

"We would already be talking if you would shut up already," I grumbled.

"Before we start, I just wanna ask something since there's not a lot of us left..." Kokichi began by asking Monokuma a question. "What happens if the votes result in two first places?"

"Huh? Like a tie?" Monokuma questioned. "That's never happened before, I think... Well, if it does happen, as long as one of them is the culprit, you guys win. Is that fine?"

"Thaaaaanks! Since that's answered, I can start enjoying this life-or-death game now!" Kokichi cheered happily.

"He's being awful again..." Kaede grumbled.

"Ignore him. That scenario is highly unlikely anyway. The only way that would happen is if we don't get to finish a discussion during the trial and we don't know who the killer is. But considering we have ample time to investigate unless Monokuma cuts things short, I doubt that will happen." I sighed.

"Can Monokuma cut Class Trials short?" Keebo asked.

"Well... There's not really a time limit for trials per se..." Monokuma began. "The trial just lasts as long as I'm entertained. So be entertaining! The moment I get bored is when the trial comes to a quick close! So start arguing already!"

"Man, he's being pushy today," Rantaro noted.

"So where should we start? There were two victims in this case, just like the last one." Tenko began.

"But unlike the previous trial, we know who died first," Kokichi added.

"Kaito..." Shuichi mumbled as he frowned and looked away.

"That's right. Kaito was the first to die. That means we need to focus on who killed him. His killer is the blackened of this case." Maki stated.

"But was Kaito even killed by someone?" Kaede asked.