3rd Arc Part 1: The Curse of Talent

Art made by JamicsArt on Quotev, so send them some love for the amazing art they made.

================================================================================

3rd Arc: Revived Hope That's Crushed by Forced Regret

Daily Life

Ding dong!

...

Ding dong ding dong ding dong ding dong ding dong!

"That's enough, Kaito! Don't just ring it constantly." Kaede told the astronaut before he could ring the doorbell another time.

"What? I'm just helping Rin wake up if he hasn't woken up yet!" Kaito proudly said before trying to hit the doorbell again, this time being stopped by Shuichi.

"I'm not sure this is the best way to go about that..." He interjected.

"Don't worry about it. I know what I'm doing." Kaito insisted.

"I don't know if I can believe you." Rantaro, who was leaning against the railing, chuckled.

"Hey! Rin's my sidekick. I know how to handle stuff like this!" Kaito confidently said. "It was like this before after the first trial too, right? Rin secluded himself away from the rest of us, so I'm just making sure he's okay this time. He may be a few years older than us, but everyone, no matter how old they are, needs some support now and then."

"Yeah, but ringing his doorbell a dozen times is a little obnoxious." Kaede sighed. "Besides, aren't you upset at him?"

"Huh? For what?" Kaito asked, genuinely unsure of what Kaede was talking about.

"The Insect Meet and Greet. He helped Kokichi willingly, and we were stuck with Gonta's bugs for 3 hours. Urg..." Kaede shivered at the thought.

"I have to agree with Kaede. I know Rin had good intentions, but he and Kokichi were still in the wrong." Shuichi added.

"Well, I suppose you do have a point." Kaito nodded as he scratched the back of his head. "Most of us didn't really have time to think it over before the investigation and trial, since that happened right after. Still, Rin's my sidekick. I believe in him. Yeah, he was in the wrong, but he wanted what was best for us. He also got the same treatment as Kokichi by being stuck with Gonta till morning, didn't he? That seems to be enough for the others, but since he's my responsibility, I've already thought up something as a sort of extra payback if you're really interested."

"Payback?" Rantaro questioned.

"Don't worry about it," Kaito said with a stupid grin as he waved his hand dismissively. "Besides, I doubt Rin will do something like that again. He's learned his lesson, I'm sure."

"I don't know. I would hope, but...something about him makes me think otherwise," Shuichi muttered with a worried look.

Rin was a mystery. He managed to trap Tsumugi, the mastermind, in a trap, prevented Kaede from killing someone, and helped out greatly in the trials. However, he worked together with Kokichi of all people, kept Maki's talent a secret, even longer than Kaito perhaps, and seems to be keeping a lot to his chest that the others don't know about.

Shuichi didn't know what to think of Rin. He admired his intelligence and willingness to face the problems of the killing game head-on with logic and confidence, along with his power to seemingly take hold of the truth with no hesitation, yet that same thing was what was intimidating Shuichi at the moment.

Rin's a good guy, better than Kokichi at least, so Shuchi did still trust him, but what would Rin do in order to keep them safe? If he's willing to lie and trick everyone else in order to protect them, what else would he do in the name of keeping everyone safe? Especially if he gets desperate or scared.