2nd Arc Part 4: Cautious Distrust

Entering the gym, I saw that everyone else was already there. They turned to look at me and Rantaro as we entered before continuing their discussion. Once again, I noticed Kaede quickly looking away from me when I saw her.

"We all here? Good! Then let us bow our heads and pray to Atua to thank him for bringing us together." Angie said while motioning us to pray.

"Fuck that! I got better things to do!" Miu spat out.

"Why did Monokuma want us to gather here anyway Rin?" Ryoma asked me.

"He didn't explain?" I asked.

"He just said to gather in the gym and ask you if we had any questions," Maki said.

"I see. Well to explain, I beat Monokuma in a game."

"Game?" Kaede asked.

"You shoulda seen him! He was amazing at the casino!" Kaito explained. "As expected of my sidekick!"

"Anyway, I beat him and my reward is that Monokuma is going to explain what this thing is," I said as I took out the flashlight.

"Is that a flashlight?" Kiyo asked.

"Yeah. We found it in a chest. We didn't want to turn it on when it could be dangerous, but then Monokuma challenged me in the casino. He said if I won he would tell us what the flashlight does."

"What was the challenge anyway?" Himiko asked.

"Monokuma wanted Rin to get 10 jackpots in a row on the slot machines," Keebo answered.

"10 jackpots!?" Tenko exclaimed.

"Kehehe... and you won the bet, leading to us being gathered. That is quite the skill and luck you have." Kiyo chuckled to himself.

"If it was a bet, what would have happened if you lost?" Kokichi asked.

"Monokuma said that he would give me a handicap until someone died, but he didn't specify what it was going to be. Not like it matters now." I said.

"Geez! That was risky of you." Kaede sighed.

"But thanks to his efforts, we'll find out about this thing," Kaito said.

"Speaking of which, where is Monokuma anyway?" Rantaro asked.

As soon as he asked, I felt something jump onto my back. Looking at my shoulder, I see Monokuma's evil grin staring back at me.

"Speak my name and I shall appear!" Monokuma exclaimed as he jumped from my shoulder onto the others, making his way to the stage.

"Alright. So Monokuma, time to uphold your part of the deal. What is this thing?" I asked.

"That's a Flashback Light." He responded.

"A flashback...light?" Rantaro questioned.

"That light doesn't shed light on the darkness, but it sheds light on your lost memories!"

"Lost memories...?" Ryoma repeated.

"Tsumugi did mention something about how we had some of our memories removed," Shuichi said as he thought.

"That's right!" Monokuma giggled. "You all were so concerned that you couldn't remember how you got to this school, but if you use that flashback light, you'll remember everything!"

"Remember...with the light?" I questioned.

That's what happened with the 'first memory' stuff too. Everyone but me seemed to remember being Ultimates, but it feels like Monokuma isn't mentioning something important...