1st Arc Part 3: First Motive, Suspicions, and Free Time

"Let's just forget about it and discuss something else. Okay?" Kaede said. "Let's all think about ways to get out of here."

"By the way, who made all this food?" I asked as I took a bite of some of it. "Holy crap! This is delicious!"

"I prepared the meal earlier today before everyone arrived at the dining hall. I have made Italian omelets, buttermilk pancakes, smoked salmon galette, and for those who prefer Japanese cuisine, I have made rice balls and miso soup." Kirumi answered with a smile on her face, happy that she could serve all of us.

"Kirumi, be my mom!" Kokichi shouted out.

"Gonta want you to be his mom too!" Gonta joined in. I laughed a bit at both of their sudden and honest requests. I looked over to Kirumi, but she wasn't smiling anymore. She seemed to tense up as soon as the word 'mom' was used to describe her.

"Please do not refer to me as that," Kirumi said with a furrowed brow, though she still came off as polite.

"Ok! No problem Mom!" Kokichi said with a mischievous grin.

I could see the polite smile on Kirumi falter just a tiny bit at that. Aside from Kokichi teasing Kirumi, everyone in the dining hall was having a good time, all things considered. But before anyone could fully enjoy themselves, a familiar black and white bear appeared suddenly.

"Hold up! I have an announcement!"

"Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!" Kaede screamed, almost falling out of her chair, along with a few others.

"Hey, don't just suddenly show up! It's too much stress for my heart!" Tsumugi said.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to not surprise you." Monokuma said.

"So you did mean to surprise us." Himiko pointed out.

"Well? Your announcement?" Rantaro asked.

"It's not terribly important, but..." Monokuma sighed. "It's easier to stay alive by being an obvious goody-two-shoes, right? Being thrust into a killing game doesn't mean you'll be able to kill someone easily. So I figured I'd ease you guys into the killing game by giving you a motivation to kill."

"...Motivation to kill?" Maki asked.

"In short, a motive! That oughta add some mystery to the proceedings! Even if a killer is exposed, they could whip up a sob story to deceive everyone!" Monokuma said with a smile.

"Wh-What are you saying? Your logic is impossible to understand...!" Keebo said.

"I will now announce the first motive! Make sure you record this moment for posterity!"

"Do you have a camera or pen and paper for us to do that?" I asked sarcastically.

"Oh a wise guy, eh? We'll see how far that gets you." Monokuma said before grinning wide and maliciously. "Now then, the special motive I've prepared is called the First Blood Perk! Wow! For the first murder that occurs, no class trial will be held! Can you believe it? That means the first one to kill someone will get to graduate, no strings attached!"

"No class trial will be held?" Maki asked.

"But weren't these class trials important for this 'sophisticated experience'?" I asked.

"I'm sorry that I made the class trial seem more important than it really is, so for the first murder, I've decided not to hold a class trial at all. Please just relax, calm down, and kill! After all, the first one's free!"

"Huh? That's all? We just gotta kill someone to get outta here!?" Miu asked.

"'That's all'!? What's that supposed to mean!? Please just calm down!" Keebo stated.