Chapter 16

Another morning rose over Tengu city. From Fraxinus it still looked like the same city, but a lot of things changed, mostly in the lives of Shido and Kenji. The latter woke up a lot less exhausted than Shido, who could barely crawl out of bed.

"Come on, Shido! You're going to be late for school! And don't forget to make breakfast!" called out Kotori from downstairs.

"Breakfast... Can't she make it for just one day? That would be such a help, I swear..." he muttered.

After he got out of his bed, he got into his school uniform and went downstairs. Kotori was watching the TV but looked at him as he came.

"There you are. Two eggs with lettuce and milk."

"What, do I look like a waitress?"

She smirked.

"No, but you do look like a waiter."

"Then call up the other hundred waiters, geez..."

"You're not going to leave me starving, are you?" she asked, subtly pleading.

"...no..."

"Great! How lucky I am to have you as my brother!" she said joyfully with a smile.

How did it end up like this? That's what I'm asking myself...

Shido got to work as he prepared breakfast. Meanwhile on the TV on the local Tengu News channel, the morning news went on.

"Yesterday, there was no Spacequake in Tengu city. The question asked by many is how three Spacequakes happened the day before yesterday, and none happened yesterday. Stay tuned as we report on the daily findings from the national team of scientists."

"Somehow I doubt they'll cough up the Spirit's existence," said Kotori.

"If they closed school today, it would be worth the cough," muttered Shido.

"Moving on, the vaunted meeting of the Anti-Disaster Committee took place yesterday here in the heart of our fair city, as representatives from all prefectures discussed the future proceedings of the organisation. The noteworthy figure for Tengu city was the representative from local Raizen High School, Kenji Miyagawa. The committee discussed various..."

"Huh. Your friend's popular, isn't he?" asked Kotori.

"I guess, but I doubt he enjoys it. I bet they didn't even ask him for permission to mention his name."

"Once he became the representative by choice, he surrendered "choice" in matters like these. That said, he met Tohka too, didn't he? She mentioned him several times."

"Y-Yeah? We met her together. What about it?"

Kotori focused her gaze on the screen showing a Spacequake crater.

"He may yet find the truth. Isn't it obvious? And if he talks about her in front of this ADC committee, who knows whether Pandora's box would be opened?"

"Since we're talking about this ADC thing, do you think they're in on the whole thing about Spirits existing? I thought the organisation Kenji wanted to represent was just purely for what its name stands for, Anti-Disaster. Though, that does sound awfully like the Anti-Spirit Team..."

"Exactly. My probable guess is they either know and are feigning ignorance or they are simply ignorant by nature."

Shido finished making breakfast as they sat at the table after Kotori turned the TV off.

"Not bad. Even half-asleep, you can still cook relatively good food," said Kotori.

"Really? Thanks," he responded.