Chapter 5

Tengu city. A city built in what resembled a huge crater, which acted as both its boundary and barrier. It wasn't isolated from the world however, the opposite. Roads did lead out of it through several chokepoints, and even though it was not as dense as Tokyo, it still brimmed with life, including a lot of native immigrants.

Tengu city was not any ordinary city. It was one of the few cities in Japan which was almost completely destroyed and had the privilege of rebuilding from scratch with the most cutting-edge technology. Not only did it have bunkers for its entire populace, but it was also home to several high-profile organisations.

One of them was the ADC, the national Anti-Disaster Committee. Its HQ was in Tengu city, but it operated throughout the whole country. That's why one of the most prestigious high schools in Japan, Raizen High School, had the honour of having its own representative for the ADC, Kenji Miyagawa.

The ADC was set up to help with Spacequake prevention, security measures, general safety, and post-recovery. A widely known organisation unlike some of its darker counterparts. Entire blocks devastated by Spacequakes were rebuilt in a matter of days, weeks at most with special prototype technology: Realizers.

In short, Realizers make the impossible possible. What took years to build now took weeks, but it came at a grave cost to the nation: reliance. Only two corporations in the entire world knew how to make realizers. Of course, Japan and many other countries that used them tried to replicate this technology, but to little success.

The public didn't care where they got this tech from, and they certainly weren't interested in funding the nation's independence. Nor was this technology that much public knowledge either, especially some of its more confident variants.

As Shido and Kenji spent time with their families, another organisation called forth a meeting. It was not the ADC, but a much more secret organisation, which people did know about, but everything else other than its existence was a well-kept secret. The Japan's Ground Force Security Council, or JGFSC in short.

Their official HQ was in Tokyo, the capital of Japan, but one of their unofficial HQ's—bases—was on the very outskirts of Tengu city, out of where the public would usually go. An underground well-guarded military complex.

Its members and officials usually took the side roads with their bodyguards, as they passed several checkpoints before finally making it inside the meeting chamber.

That day, the council gathered and met. It was made up of eight members, one for each "region" in Japan, each representing several prefectures. However, only six members made it to the meeting, two members representing Hokkaido and Kyushu-Okinawa not present.

Their nicknames were also based on which region they represented, so as to have anonymity—but it was still clear who was who.

They sat down, forming an incomplete circle. Three women, three men. However, their reputation differed little, or what was known of them. High ranking military officials including colonels and generals. After all, the ground force made up one third of the nation's military.

"Allow me to bid everyone present a good day. If we're all here and prepared, I would begin this meeting," said the man representing Kanto.

"Agreed. The amount of Spacequakes is alarming. Our prefectures alone have been hit several times today," said the woman representing Kinki.

"With all due respect, that is not what we are here to discuss. Isn't that right, Ms Chairman?" asked the man representing Tohoku.

The woman representing Chubu, the Chairman of the council smirked. Every year, the Chairman was swapped within the inner circle by another one of the eight members.