Chapter 6

"Mhm... That was amazing! We need to go here more often, Onii-chan!" said Kotori with joy as she finished her meal.

Shido scratched his head.

"Haha... I don't think our parents would allow us that much. Money doesn't grow on trees, Kotori," he responded.

"Then where does it grow?" she asked, curiously.

"Well... Good question. I guess it doesn't grow as much as it's made. But anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the meal."

"Did you enjoy it too?!"

"Haha, yeah, I did. Shall we go home now?"

"Yeah... I want to take a nap," she said, as she yawned.

"All right. Let's go then!"

He took her hand; glad she was still by his side.

"We'll have a nice nap together."

He instantly realised what he said, and his face became flustered.

"Y-You know what I mean!"

"Of course I do, Onii-chan!" she said with a smile.

Ah, that's right. She's still young and innocent. She wouldn't understand these strange definitions. To her, napping with her brother seems perfectly okay. And maybe it is, but...

Shido shook his head and smiled.

"Together, then," he said, as she smiled back.

They walked home together, as the sun still shone with no signs of hiding from everyone's plain sight. Once home, he helped Kotori lay off her belongings, as she exhaustedly walked to her room. There, he helped tuck her in one of her favourite blankets.

He used to do this a lot when she was younger, but it was one of the things which always put a smile on his face. Never a bother, rather a pleasure. He did tell her he'd nap with her, but this began being an understanding between them a while back that it didn't really mean what it meant.

Even though he cared for his sister, he enjoyed his privacy in his own room. That included falling asleep, watching anime, playing games, listening to music... He grew up to be a caretaker, but sometimes, he felt a little lonely. That's why he adored his little sister so much, because in a way, she gave him purpose.

He got in his bed, and closed his eyes, preparing to fall asleep. However, as if on command, his phone rang. Someone was calling him. He checked to see who and saw one of Kenji's photos.

Why is he calling me now...? Oh, I think I know.

Shido picked up.

"Kenji, is this you?"

"Yeah, hi! Sorry for bothering you, but I wanted to ask you something."

"No problem. What is it?"

"Ah, but first—how's Kotori doing? Is she okay?"

"Yeah, perfectly fine. We just came back from Danny's; I think she had a lot of fun."

"Phew... That's a relief. I wanted to ask if you wanted to go out with me. On a walk, I mean."

"A walk? Sounds kinda sudden, got anywhere you want to show me in particular?"

"Remember the Spacequake today? In the morning news, I mean. My request is... Could you please accompany me to it?"

"Kenji, what's gotten into you? That's... quite the distance. And it's probably off-limits anyway, so what's the point?"

"It shouldn't be off limits. I know this is coming out of nowhere, but I'd appreciate your company. We can take a bus there, it's not that far."