Chapter 4

"That's enough, Origami! Retreat immediately, your vitals are going critical!" said a woman's voice over the radio.

"This is our chance. I cannot retreat, not before making sure... that these beings are laid to rest."

"Damn it, Origami! Retreat, that's an order! You can't win with just a blade!" the voice commanded.

Origami clenched her blade as it lit up again. Then, she charged at the nameless girl, who kept staring her down. Just before her blade met the girl however, she disappeared in the blink of an eye.

Origami looked around her, ready for anything, when her radio lit up again.

"It's over. Her signature's gone. Come back to base now, please."

The call disconnected, as Origami fell to her knees.

"D-Damn it..."

With her jet boots, she flew off, exhausted, and bruised.

Back at the school bunker underground, Shido was keeping to himself, still very distraught about his sister, as was Kenji who occasionally glanced at Shido. He wondered if he did the right thing, cursing the timing of Spacequakes.

Then, Tamae came over to them, as she checked up on everyone.

"Is everyone still doing all right?" she asked.

She quickly realised the two weren't, as they had a dejected look on their faces.

"What happened?" she asked.

"It might be better if he told you himself."

They walked over to Shido, who was still looking down on the ground.

"Itsuka-kun, did something happen? You look glum..."

He sighed.

"It's my sister. I checked her phone location, and it was outside, in the open where a Spacequake could potentially hit. She's younger, and I... I hope she didn't panic and cower in fear on the ground somewhere. If that Spacequake hit her..."

"Even if that happened, someone surely would have guided her to safety themselves, right? Maybe she just dropped her phone," said Kenji.

"Itsuka-kun... That's terrible! I'm sorry to hear that, but cross our fingers that she's safe, like you," said Tamae.

"I do hope..."

Origami reached the base, as she landed and started walking towards the drop-bay where she could disengage her suit.

As she walked, some people threw glances at her. Her ragged suit and exhausted look garnered some attention, but what caught her attention were injured people being carried on mobile medical beds.

The sight was unruly even for her, as they winced in pain. One looked at her, as half their face was burnt. Her cold expression shifted for a split second as she looked at the person with despair, before she resumed walking.

The doors before her opened, as she made it to the drop-bay, where some of her fellow troops stood. They looked at her but didn't dare talk. She finally attached herself to the module, as her suit was disengaged and she was freed from its burden, as she started collapsing to the ground, but a woman in the same suit caught her.

Origami meekly looked up at her. She was a lot older, like Tamae Okamine and had dark grey eyes along with medium long dark hair that was tied into a ponytail. The other girls scattered, as they gave them some privacy.

"Captain Kusakabe..." she uttered.

"Thank the gods you're alive, Origami. But do you know how much danger you've placed yourself into? The mission was clear: test the waters! Why did you try to finish her off yourself?" she asked sternly.