Chapter 21: If Only

Start from the beginning

     "Well, I assure you that no one is forcing me to be in love with you." Roman assured me, causing me to tense up. "Yeah..." I replied in a strained voice. It's fine... I'll... I'll tell him the truth tomorrow. I reminded myself as Roman stopped walking.

     We stood in front of a curtain of vines on the side of the path, which Roman carefully pulled aside. Behind the curtain was a beautiful spring, with a waterfall leading down to a large river. "This Spring is magic." Roman explained as we stepped onto the stone surrounding the pond. He sat down next to it, and set down a picnic basket he had brought with him. "This is beautiful..." I murmured, so awestruck that I had forgotten the worries I had just now.

     "It is." Roman said softly, though as I was looking at our surroundings, he was looking at me.

     I felt my heart flutter as I studied the stream, wondering what kind of magic it was. Water usually had healing properties, so it was probably something like that. Roman started taking things out, and handed me a bottle of coke. I looked at it hesitantly, causing him to laugh. "Don't worry. It's safe. These are fresh." He told me, causing my eyes to widen in excitement as I accepted the bottle. I opened it and took a sip of it, feeling a rush of serotonin when it tasted exactly as I figured it should.

     Roman laughed softly, more in a fond way than a teasing way, before taking out two containers. "I've been told your favourite food is pizza, so I got some from a restaurant while getting ready." Roman informed me. "Aww, you're spoiling me Princey." I teased as I accepted the container. "Maybe you deserve to be spoiled." Roman returned, causing me to laugh nervously. "I respectfully disagree." I informed him before trying the pizza.

     "Do you?" He questioned before starting to eat his own. I nodded, since my mouth was full so I couldn't speak. "Well," Roman began after swallowing. "I think you are beautiful, incredible, and that you deserve all the wonderful things in the world." Roman insisted. "I doubt that." I sighed once I had finished chewing. "Doesn't matter. I'm going to be King tomorrow, meaning my opinion is the right one." Roman boasted. "Nice to know you're already letting power go to your head." I commented, rolling my eyes. "Only with you, my Darling of the Night." Roman mused before kissing my cheek.

     My cheeks burned as I made a flustered sound and leaned into him. "Not fair." I groaned. "What's not fair?" Roman asked, sounding amused by my dismay. "You have too much power." I complained. "Do I?" Roman taunted, kissing my forehead. "Mhmm..." I replied weakly. "That's only because I have you, Virgil... You make me stronger than I've ever been." Roman told me softly. "Got it. So if I die, then you'll go back to being Prince Goodie Two Shoes and the world can be spared from your ungodly strength?" I joked. "No!" Roman shouted, holding me close as if he were afraid I was serious.

     I made a startled sound before adjusting myself to be more comfortable in his arms. "Relax! I was joking!" I told him, laughing a little as I leaned against him. "I don't care... Don't joke about that." He ordered firmly. "Okay, okay." I sighed, smiling as I returned the hug. "I won't..." I assured him. "Good." Roman whispered, and I could feel him crying against my shoulder. "I don't want to lose you after only just finding you..." He whispered. "I feel the same way about you..." I admitted.

     That's why I just need a few days before I free you... I'm not ready to let you go yet...

     We stayed like that for a while, then we had to pull away to finish eating. We exchanged stories about our childhoods as we eat, Roman telling me about how he met his friends, me telling him how I met mine.

     He met Patton in Kindergarten, then met Logan through Patton. Logan had been Patton's friend in middle school, and for awhile Roman had worried that he was going to be replaced as Patton's best friend. Patton managed to get Logan and Roman to befriend each other though after Roman found out Logan was gay like them, so it all worked out in the end.