Chapter 6: The Heist

Virgil's POV

     (Warning for manipulation, hinted at abuse, and a panic attack.)

     11:25 pm

     We were outside of the museum, and I made sure everyone understood the plan. Remus still seemed out of it, which was really getting on my nerves. Thankfully, however, at the end of the discussion, he seemed more certain.

     Still, I decided to check in with him one last time.

     11:30 pm

     Janus experimented with the invisibility spell. He casted it on me to test it, since it had a cool down period so he shouldn't use it on himself. I turned invisible but had a black tint. He tried again with Remy, this time it worked completely. He sighed in relief, then headed inside. Once he was gone, my invisibly wore off, and I pulled Remus aside.

     "Are you sure you're okay?" I asked him. "I am." He assured me, sounding far more certain than he did before. Albeit angry. "Okay." I sighed, having no real reason not to trust him. His job was easy enough, he just had to turn off the alarm. He should be able to manage that. "Remember, when this is over, we'll be free. Everyone will be free." I told him, my tone softening. He nodded, and relaxed. "Yeah, we will." He agreed, sounding relieved.

     Midnight

     I sent Remus in, hoping Janus managed alright. "Are you doing okay?" Remy asked. "I'm fine." I assured him, using a spell to teleport him to his position. Then I teleported myself to mine.

     Once inside, I was startled to see many statues of our parents when they were in their prime. In the centre of the exhibit, standing on a platform, was my mother, Maleficent. I stood, looking at her in awe.

     You probably have the impression that I'm resentful towards my mother. Of course, most teenagers are resentful of their parents. The truth is, I'm not. I don't like some of the things she does, like grounding me or taking away privileges, or threatening to kill my friends or forcing people to befriend or be in relationships with me, or making me do my homework.

     However, she's always been my hero. She stood up to royalty like it was nothing, and didn't allow anyone to disrespect her or the people she cared about. She was powerful, confident, everything I wanted to be and more. I act all tough with my friends, I try to be intimidating, but I can't even ask a librarian how to use a computer without becoming a nervous mess.

     As a child, I thought I was invincible because I was her son. I was the Prince of the Isle, and never afraid to use my mother to get what I wanted. Then, I had friends, people that counted on me, who I needed to keep in mind. That changed how I navigated the Isle. It made it a lot harder to stand up for myself, knowing that my friends might get hurt if I do.

     And now, I'm here. Preparing to steal a wand and free our parents, and then we'll take over the world. I would make her proud of me, and it would feel amazing. So why did I feel a pit in my stomach? Maybe it was because I wasn't sure if I was ready for this... wasn't ready to handle the responsibility of being the Heir to the entire world. Wasn't ready to watch the slaughter that would follow our parents being freed. Especially now that I knew people in Auradon personally.

     "Look at you, look at me, I don't know who to be, mother..." I sang quietly as I studied the statue. "Is it wrong, is it right? Be a thief in the night, mother..." I began, lowering myself to one knee in a respectful bow. "Tell me what to do..." I pleaded. I then used two spells from the book, one to make this room sound proof, the other to animated the statue so that it would act like her. Or, at least, my interpretation of her. I was startled when it worked, and. Flash of light brought the statue to life.