Chap 20

A Decade Ago..

It was the afternoon of the first day of our first summer holiday. Silvia and I decided to pick up certain things from the store as we were going to the summer camp the following day. Our tickets were booked and to say that we were excited would be the understatement of the year.

We were going absolutely crazy! It was going to be our first summer vacation where we were finally being allowed to go alone for a whole fortnight. Mom and dad were a little skeptical about this decision but Silvia managed to convince them. She was their little power puff girl.

And I, well let's just say that mom loved calling me her Warrior!

"Nick, where are you?", My mom called out to me.

I turned around and saw her standing near the stairs, which led to my room. "Here in the backyard", I replied.

She turned her head around and saw me washing my boots. I had to take them along but they were very dirty. They looked kinda.. dated so I decided to brush the dust off.

"C'mon man, she's waiting for you!", my mom pointed towards the main gate. "Go with her"

I gave her an irritated look, "But why, mom? Isn't she big enough to take care of herself?"

"Nick, baby she's your little sister. Don't let her go alone like that. You know she can be so clumsy!", my mom urged, resting her hands on her waist.

"But mom-"

"You're our warrior! And warriors have responsibilities! And she's yours!", she tilted her head a little, trying to make me agree with her. "And don't worry about those", she said pointing at the boots in my hands. "I'll make them shine like new ones by the time you guys come back home", she said enthusiastically.

"Urgh, Fine! But make sure you make them look perfect. They're damn dirty!", I pouted, to which I earned a chuckle, followed by a nod from her.

I walked over to her and handed her my boots. She took them by one hand and brushed my hair with the other while planting a peck on the side of my head.

"Be back soon!", she said before I left the house.

Silvia was standing at the main gate, stomping her feet on the concrete floor just like some spoilt girl. She turned her head around when she heard me coming.

"No please!!!!", she cried in annoyance, throwing another one of her tantrums. "I wanted to go alone for one time and she didn't let me!", she said looking at me, her hands crossed over her chest.

"It's because you're still a stupid little girl who can't even cross the road by herself", I teased her as I pulled her ponytail.

"Hey!", she got offended. "But that doesn't mean I need a bodyguard like you! You're just-", she counted the numbers on her fingers, "Just 5 years elder to me!"