Ch. 57: Is this how you spend all your days here?

Then

"Peek-a-boo."

Phoenix pulled his attention from the laptop screen and the contract he had been working on for the last hour. He looked from his makeshift workspace at the dining table in Chess' living room to the doorway, where Niall's head poked into view.

"You can come in. You're not disturbing me." Over the last month, Phoenix had found himself oddly at ease with the child, maybe because he acted nothing like the obnoxious kids he saw at supermarkets and on TV. Niall was sweet and considerate, and he helped Jace. For that alone, Phoenix would tolerate, if not like him for eternity.

Niall bounded into the room and around the table, looking expectantly at Phoenix until he scooted back the chair and lifted Niall onto his lap.

"Did you do your homework?"

"Yes. I did it while Jace napped before lunch." Niall smiled and grabbed one of the caramel bonbons Phoenix always had in a bowl by his computer. He carefully unwrapped it and stuffed it into Phoenix's mouth before he unwrapped one for himself.

That had become a ritual for them. The first time Niall had done it, Phoenix nearly bit his fingers off, since he did not like being fed like a toddler. But he soon realized that Niall only did it because he knew how to share and meant no harm, and he never did it before any major meal to spoil his appetite. Only as an afternoon treat or just before he left to go to Packard's place or stay with the night babysitter.

The whole 'Chess had a kid' deal had confused Phoenix at first, but it made sense. Everything he knew about Chess, his personality and behavior, only supported what Chess had told about Niall being sick, and how he had lived his life with the responsibilities of a father. His constant need for money, the hours he worked, and his absolute diligence in keeping his jobs and the income they brought. The pieces had fallen into place. Why Chess had given up on his education, why he had borrowed Phoenix's car at times, and that fierce determination to not let Packard swoop in and undermine the stability Chess had worked for to keep his independence. Lovers came and went. Fatherhood never stopped. Chess had not allowed Packard to lull him into a false sense of security if they broke up down the line. But now that they had officially committed with the collaring ceremony, and had moved in together, Chess could finally relax a little. Heavens knew the man deserved it.

Now he had Packard as daily support. And he had Phoenix, Brannon, and Eoin. Even Rami, and they barely knew each other. And when Jace had healed, he would have Jace too.

"How's Jace today?"

"He's sleeping again. I didn't disturb him. I colored in my coloring book on the floor. He didn't wake up." Niall chewed his caramel and swallowed, taking another. "He asked for Chinese food for dinner."

Nodding, Phoenix ruffled Niall's hair. "Thank you for telling me."

Though he hated that Jace still refused to talk with anyone but Niall, Phoenix understood the need for Jace's mind to heal. The safety of only communicating with a child who could not ask him questions about what had happened, Phoenix knew was a coping mechanism. He still missed hearing Jace's voice. Missed getting verbal responses to what he said. But over the last month, he had schooled himself every day, promising to give Jace the space he needed.

That did not stop him from talking enough for the both of them. Every night when they went to bed, he whispered soothing reassurances to Jace and told him to just take his time for as long as it took. He talked until Jace dozed off, and Phoenix hoped his words had an effect other than boring Jace to sleep. At least Jace had no issues with being touched anymore. He did not flinch and did not tremble all the time, but he did not respond, either. He said nothing and gave no indications of anything, though Niall said thanks for dinner and snacks and everything on Jace's behalf. They had developed a communication system through expressions, whispered words, and hand signals that Phoenix for the life of him could not understand.