Ch. 2: The name is Phoenix

Then

"Oi, Phoenix, would you mind compiling files on that brokerage firm and getting them to me by the end of the week?"

Phoenix turned from the stack of papers he was organizing on a separate desk to see Gareth momentarily look up from his laptop, seeking confirmation, a small frown of concentration on his face. He was in full work mode and happy to have Phoenix learn more and more, and soon take over the majority of the responsibilities Gareth had.

"Sure, I'll do it after the meeting?"

"No worries. I don't need them right away. Do it tomorrow, mate. I've sent what I need to your BlackBerry." Gareth already had his nose back in his laptop, and Phoenix made to leave the office at Gareth's Dublin Mansion, where they had been going over all of his new assignments for hours.

And fucking hours.

The last few days had been hectic. Not something that really bothered Phoenix. He was used to it, especially working with Gareth. The difference was working sixteen-hour days, absorbing new information, remembering procedures, signing a shitton of papers with Gareth, giving Phoenix access to basically everything, while uprooting himself from England, where his family lived, to move to Ireland. Moving to be Gareth's right-hand man in everything business related, leaving a high-paying job, and an equally lucrative teaching position.

The pressure of being trusted like that, knowing who Gareth was, messed with his head a bit.

One wrong move and he would be fish food, and nobody would ever find out where he had gone. And that was, of course, only after he had been made to pay for whatever wrong move he had made, which would probably be painful and long-lasting before he met his end.

Phoenix knew the risks.

He also knew that saying yes to Gareth's offer was the right thing for him to do.

It was daunting having been employed by a man like Gareth Adjenkov Tempest, who was not only an exceptional businessman but also the leader of a Russian mafia faction, ruling large parts of Europe. Not really because Phoenix had doubts about his ability to live up to Gareth's expectations. It was more in having actually been accepted into Gareth's inner circle after years of knowing who Gareth was and working side by side with him.

Earning his respect in business as well as in friendship.

Planning on stopping by his office, and then grabbing a sandwich or something before the meeting, Phoenix made his way to the door when Gareth absentmindedly looked up again. "You going to check out apartments one of these days?"

"I was planning to. Do you need me to do something? I can reschedule the viewings."

"No." Gareth scribbled something on a piece of paper and pushed it across his desk, a light smile tugging at his lips. It made him look somewhat predatorial. The facial expression combined with his always black attire gave him a dark and dangerous aura.

"You might want to check that out. I think it'll fit you. Go on, get out of my face. I'll see you at the meeting."

Snatching the piece of paper, Phoenix mumbled a thanks to Gareth for whatever it was and left. Outside the office, he glanced at the paper. All it held was an address. Gareth had already opened his real estate portfolio to him and allowed Phoenix to choose an apartment or a house if he found one he liked. Some of them had seemed promising, and he had scheduled viewings of them.

Maybe the address was a new apartment building Gareth had bought.

Phoenix shrugged, stuffing the piece of paper in his pocket, and made his way down the hallway toward his temporary office.