CHAPTER 27

"I hope I didn't interrupt anything" he uttered smiling and I wasn't sure if it sounded more of a wheeze or a hiss. When he spoke, I expected a forked tongue that would flicker incessantly over his cracked lips however I was met with a row of teeth that looked broken and chipped like the heads of a weathered tombstone.

He was a tall and slender man with skin so pale it appeared as if he was the product of a deadly and contagious disease, not to mention his smell. It was a God-awful stench of decaying flesh mixed with the putrid scent of staled blood.

Deep down I knew his foul scent wasn't normal, but came from the souls that got polluted by his evil that finally hung from him in a heavy cloak.

"Ah, who is this lovely, I hope you brought her here for me to have a quick snack perhaps?" he inquired with a mischievous glint reaching out to touch me with his disgusting, white- like mayonnaise, unholy hands.

"If you touch her..." Ares snapped, pulling me behind him. "Then I hope, you are prepared to lose that entire limb"

He chuckled, a maniacal and sinister sound, apparently amused at Ares' disposition and his lathery face crinkling. Was this man mad? I was getting nervous, not for Ares but for Aleister and the way he was behaving, teasing Ares when he obviously despised him, I knew sooner or later the ashes of death were bound to rain down on him.

I studied Ares and realized that he was back to his cold and cautious self, not the type of cold like a cool breeze or water from a stream in autumn, but cold, like angry gushes of wind biting at your skin in the middle of a dead winter night.

"Now now don't be like that. There isn't any need for violence especially knowing that I might end up mutilated so no need to break a sweat" he said, flashing him bone-white fangs in what was a saccharine smile.

He finally stepped inside moving across from us casually walking over to where an armchair was then taking a seat, and even though I wasn't one to judge, I could tell from the confidence and poise he exuded, Ares probably owed him something.

"Your beliefs are both concerning and accurate considering that I never sweat under any circumstance- ever" His voice was harder than steel and more deadly than a sting from a resentful scorpion.

Something came over me in that moment that urged me to reach out and comfort him in his time of rage and annoyance finally placing my palms flat against his hard edged back. His muscles stiffened at my touch- which was expected but then he languidly glanced at me over his shoulders with those eyes that were easy to remember and hard to forget, before he visibly relaxed.

But it was only for a moment.

Because as he looked over at Aleister he was already watching us with a smile that showed nothing but bad intent and suspicion.

"Why have you come here, haven't I already established there is nothing more I will do for you to settle my transgression- or are you so greedy that your brain will only alter that which your ears want to hear?"

I could see his face twitching from irritation and the forced smile was fighting to stay plastered on his face but he managed to play it off with a short chuckle before saying.

"Here she comes..." His voice was suffused with a sugary tone but died away nevertheless.

Octavia appeared like a pesky sore, crashing and latching onto his body as if he were her long lost lover. The way she was behaving, highlighting her ample charms and looking up at him from under long, thick lashes-one would think he was responsible for hanging out the sun every morning.

What a bitch.

I felt myself being pushed away, not physical but mentally. Nobody seem to have notice that I was standing there anymore and once again I was beginning to feel myself get insecure about my position around supernatural-always the unimportant one.