Chapter 31

In a lampless dusk, we traveled a dirt path that stretched on forever. Boney branches punctured the moonlit sky, casting ragged shadows that tattooed the sides of the road, while trees drifted past us.

In the midst of the chaos, I stood watching my world crumbling around me having nowhere to run or hide from the debris. I would cry, but the grumpy werewolf that drove would occasionally growl at the slightest sound I'd make, so I rested my head against the window, watching the world carry on.

The frosty night air bit into my skin, fueling the ache that had captured my heart. At least now I could confirm the very thing I feared to admit, and that was, it always boiled down to me always being alone.

"Hey" I called. "Can we stop for a while, I need to pee"

My statement was followed by a prolonged moment of silence. I knew he heard me, not because of his super hearing abilities but because I sat right behind his seat.

"Hey! I said I want to pee and while I'm not sure if your ears are working, I'm sure as hell know your nose works. And so help me God I'll pee all over this car if you don't stop" I raged and the car came to a screeching halt.

He exited the car, coming around to the door closest to me and flinging it open. I got out eager to go but gripping onto my arm as I was passing him.

"No funny business" He drawled out, yet as soon as he opened his mouth I snapped my head away from him, after involuntarily getting a whiff of his foul breath.

"Whatever" I countered, wringing out of his grasp and annoyed that he had stopped me just to say that. "I didn't plan on doing anything, anyway"

I shivered, slowly feeling myself getting enveloped by the blanketed forest, and at last, finding a big enough tree where I hid and did my womanly duties. Begrudgingly, as I walked back, I couldn't help but pause, looking back at where I was mere moments ago.

'You could be free' the trees whispered.

'We can help you', they urged, and I sighed in defeat, for it was nothing but a fool's errand. I was neither a beast of the night nor an entity of the forest and the faster I'd run, the quicker I'd be hunted down.

I turned with the intention of heading back, only to be faced with the unpleasant werewolf. My legs moved without thought, jumping a foot or two, creating a distance between me and the new presence before saying.

" I- I was just heading back" I stated in a calculated voice, wondering how long he was standing there.

"There is no need to rush, take your time, we're almost there anyway" he spoke yet something about his oddly calm demeanor and pleasant approach threw me off. Did he have some sort of split personality? This couldn't be the same grumpy werewolf that drove me here.

I waited in a sort of bated breath, as his watchful gaze filled me with an anxious feeling.

"Uh- sure, I'll be waiting by the car then" I answered, side-stepping him but also keeping a sharp eye out in case he made any sudden movements, and I must've been lucky because no sooner had I moved, I saw his hand shot out, reaching to grab me as I was about to pass him.