Panic

'Curse this damn rain.' Hace thought as he shook out his shirt that clung to him. It wasn't supposed to rain that day... so what does it do? It freaking pours out of the sky! He didn't bring a coat or an umbrella. As he walked up the stairs, he figured he'd just spend the rest of the day there at Jap's or at least until the storm passed enough to get back out to the car.

     Before he even got to the door, Hace could hear screaming coming from inside the apartment. Jap was shushing something... what was going on... "ARDENT!" He screamed as he ran into the place without even bothering to knock.

     Jap was on the couch with a screaming Ardent in his arms. Jap had what looked like the start of a black eye and he also had a fat lip. 'What the hell happened?!' Hace started to panic.

     Jap looked up and saw Hace. Joy came across his face as he yelled, "Take him!" Jap shoved Ardent into Hace's arms. "The storm scared him half to death and when I tried to calm him down, he started hitting me! He's a lot stronger than he looks!!"

     Hace took Ardent into his arms and held him against his chest. Ardent was still screaming and started to beat against Hace. Hace rocked him a bit and pet his mane. "Shhh. Shhhh. It's ok buddy. Why are you crying?"

     Ardent suddenly stopped and froze in Hace's arms. He looked up and his eyes went wide. With all his strength, he wrapped his arms around Hace's neck and held on to him. He acted like at any moment he would be torn away.

     "What's got you acting this way? Is it because I left? Do you have another ear infection? Is it the storm? Is that why you're so scared?" He rocked the poor little guy back and forth for a bit before sitting down.

     Jap had gotten up and put on some hot water to make them tea. "Do you think he can have some? Would it calm him down?" He asked Hace.

     "I think it'll be ok, maybe even be good for him. What happened?"

     "I told you; he was sleeping off his medication. The storm started, and he was crying long before the first rumble of thunder."

     "The rain scared him?" Hace would have facepalmed himself if he wasn't holding a now falling asleep Ardent. He hated baths, and now reacting this way to rain... it was the water. But why was he afraid of water? He drinks water though... maybe it's just water on his skin? Did he think the rain was going to get him wet? Hace looked around and noticed something was missing.

     "Where... where's Twitch?" Hace looked around but didn't see him anywhere.

     "He won't come out from under the bed. He tried to talk to Ardent, I think... Anyway, when Ardent started screaming he freaked out too and won't come back out." Jap brought a cup of tea for Hace and filled the sippy cup for Ardent.

     Ardent took it quickly and started to drink. He took three big gulps before he stopped drinking and looked at the cup with a confused look. He licked his lips a few times and looked up at Jap. He looked back at the cup and tilted his head. "No water. No juice."

     "That's tea." Jap pointed at the cup.

     "Tea..." Ardent repeated. He took another sip and smacked his lips again. "Bad." He handed Jap back the cup and continued to give a strange face. Jap and Hace both laughed.

     "I think that's the first time he's turned down something." Hace chuckled.

     "I can't believe how much you're teaching him." Jap reached over and pet the side of Ardent's cheek. He was cute when he wasn't trying to take off his head.

     "What do you mean?" Hace looked down and saw that Ardent was struggling to keep his eyes open. He must have tired himself out.

     "All those words. Are you just making it easier for yourself? Teaching him to talk so he can say what he needs."