Monster

"Incoming One?" Ash said as he looked at the mission pad. "That's a lame name for the ship. Do they expect more people to follow behind us?"

     "Well... yeah. Remember? We're going there to make it a fully functional port to handle all the incoming people." Jaxon huffed playfully at his friend's question. He didn't know if Ash was being serious or not. "I can't wait! Soon we'll be waking up on a whole 'nother planet! It'll be amazing to see grass for the first time! I heard the planet is mostly covered with vegetation!"

     "And I heard it has monsters that will eat you for dinner without a second though." Blade walked into the room and butted into their conversation. "That's why they're sending us to protect your dumb asses. One look at the monsters and you'll be crying and wetting your pants." Blade mockingly put his hands to his eyes and pretended to rub them as he made an over exaggerated crying sound.

     "Yes. I read about the 'monsters' too." Jaxon was already pissed with Blade being there. He could hardly stand being in the same room with him, he dreaded the thought of working together. "But they're not monsters." Jaxon continued. "They're just wildlife. The natural species of the planet. Did you honestly think that they could find a perfect match for earth and not find something living on it?"

     "How much of the planet did they map out? Did they find any intelligent life?" Ash asked.

     It was something that had been on Jaxon's mind too. He had worried a few times that they were invading on the natives... so to speak. At the same time, he was excited at the thought of meeting a real-life alien!

     "Who gives a shirt?" Blade said, obviously trying to sound cooler by swearing. Ash and Jaxon both rolled their eyes at his attempt. "All I care about is getting a chance to kick some ass!"

     "Will the ass be your own? Cause these things don't look like they're going down easy." Jaxon held up a video from the report. The thing that looked at them had six large eyes, along with six matching tentacles where its mouth would have been, that rolled around, much like an octopus'. It had six legs, but when it saw the camera man, it slightly stood up, revealing that it could run on four legs like a horse and use its two front legs like human arms. If the sight of this seven-foot monster wasn't enough to scare you, the sound it made will. There was nothing they could think of to describe the absolute horror that filled your bones when the thing let out a type of battle cry before charging.

     Blade gulped as he heard the man filming start to scream. It was soon cut short, and the sound of crunching replaced it. He didn't say anything. His chin went stiff, and you could almost see the smoke coming from his ears as he tried to think. Thinking was not his strong suit.

     "Well... it's a good thing I'll be there to keep all the scientists safe!" He said in a haughty voice as soon as Jaxon turned off the video.

     "Sure... we'll all feel so much safer with you around." Jaxon said under his breath.

     Without warning, Blade punched Jaxon in the stomach. Jaxon dropped to his knees and held his waist. Ash ran to his side and asked if he was ok.

     "What the hell was that for?" Ash yelled at Blade.

     "To toughen him up. He looks like a snack for those things." Blade laughed as he walked away. "The little baby."

     "It's about time you woke up little baby." Blade said mockingly. It didn't surprise Jaxon that Blade was still a jerk. If there was one person who wouldn't change from this experience... it would be Blade.