Chapter 2

-Sakura's POV-

Many members from Group A decided to join forces during the final trial, me included, at least until we were the only ones remaining. That way, we can prevent anyone from being fatally injured.

The ones we were worried would carelessly hurt others were Hidan, Kisame, Gaara, Temari, and maybe even Suigetsu. We weren't entirely sure about the latter because he'd proved decent over the past few months, but he was honest about being willing to do almost anything for the money. Gaara's monstrous when it comes to fighting, and his sister's always quick to follow his lead. Kisame and Hidan had likely paired up, and they're the types to enjoy hurting others, so they were our main priority.

Other than those mentioned, the only people not in our group were Neji and Hinata. Both took off into the jungle when Dr. Uchiha told us to begin.

No one dared speak as we snuck through the trees and brushed as quickly and quietly as possible with our numbers. In the beginning, Hidan and Kisame started a fight with Gaara and Temari, but it didn't last long before the foes separated and ran off in different directions. The rest of us naturally stuck together.

Not even ten minutes after the trial began did we come under attack. A surprised cry came from behind me, and I turned to see that Gaara had tackled Matsuri to the ground. The petite girl swiftly escaped his grasp, put some space between them with her hands up in a defensive position, and plastered a glare onto her face. Then Tenten, the closest to where Matsuri had been standing, dodged a hit from Temari before swiftly moving to retaliate.

A few of us moved to assist them but froze when Naruto suddenly gasped from the head of the pack, "It's Hinata!"

My heartbeat picked up when I turned to see a look of distress on his features as he searched the surrounding trees with focused eyes, "She's hurt!" He shot off in a sprint, and the rest of us were torn between helping defend against the Subaku siblings and following the Uzumaki boy.

Matsuri spoke as she and Gaara slowly circled one another, "Go. We can handle this."

My brow furrowed, "But-"

Tenten cut me off, swiftly dodging another hit, "We'll be fine; just go!"

Ino and I glanced at one another and hesitated a moment before ultimately following everyone else in pursuit of Naruto. My mind reeled as we caught up with the rest of the group. It didn't make sense to me how he could tell if Hinata was in trouble, but with everything else that's occurred over the last twelve weeks, I've learned not to question anything.

No words were exchanged as we traveled for multiple minutes before Kiba barked gruffly, "I smell blood!" Only this morning, he told us his sense of smell had finally shown signs of strengthening how Orochimaru had told him it would.

Then, there was a loud explosion, and the arena went black. I ran into someone's back and nearly toppled backward, but whoever they were reached back to grasp my wrist and keep me upright.

It became silent momentarily before I noticed a faint light in the distance. Upon closer inspection, I realized that it was a fire burning below a large hole in the ceiling. Everyone seemed to notice it simultaneously because we ran toward it all together.

I stared in disbelief when we finally reached the edge of a clearing and saw Neji rushing toward a downed Hinata. My eyes darted to the side when movement caught my attention. Still, I wasn't quick enough to warn anyone before our group was descended upon by over twenty police officers or soldiers dressed in full riot gear. I couldn't tell which it was. Maybe they were some type of special forces.

My hand instinctively grasped onto Ino's, but when I turned to look at her, she was being pulled away. Tears rose in her eyes as she tried to both fight the two people off and keep a hold of me. I was suddenly shoved onto the ground when I readied myself to attack. A growl rumbled from my chest, and I tried to free my wrists, but they were quickly put into metal cuffs.