ღ 10 ღ

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN

Jasmine's pov

When I walked away from Jungkook, I saw a silhouette slightly far from us. If I wasn't wrong, it was Aera. I had seen her shining golden gown, and only she was wearing that color tonight. I stood at the bar, my head spinning with anxiety. If Aera saw us together, almost intimately, she'd be torturing Jungkook. It will ruin the mere chance of their marriage working out. 

I turned to the bartender and ordered a drink. I needed it badly. I didn't see Jungkook after the brief conversation. It was ridiculous, fool of me to feel this way, but — I missed him. Hadn't it been only a few minutes, our bodies almost pressed to each other, his hand cupping my jaw, the neediness in his voice, the pleadings in his eyes — it dazzled me. Especially the nickname he used for me; the care lingered in the name when he spelled it. Why? Why did all matter to me? 

Walking in a haze, I reached the poolside. A glass clutched between my fingers — my eyes roamed in my absent mind. I glanced around the pool; couples were taking photos, chatting, laughing, and looking happy. The corner of my mouth slid up in a bitter smile. Only I was alone in the world. 

Probably I was lost in a daze that I didn't sense a presence behind me. A cold hand clasped around my wrist, freezing me on my spot. The person leaned down behind my ear as she whispered, "having fun with my husband?" My eyes opened wide. 

"Who are you?" I managed to ask. Although I guessed who the person was. The grip around my wrist tightened. 

"You know it very well, sweetie. Don't act innocent." Aera breathed in my ear. Her low and deep voice scared me. "I saw you," she said, her nails digging into my skin. A quiet whimper escaped my parted lips. "Stay away from Jungkook. If not, I will show you your place, sweetie. And I wouldn't hesitate to be harsh on you." 

"What do you mean?" I growled a little. Aera was running my patience thick. 

"Oh, so we are playing dumb now." She laughed. "Don't act a fool, Jasmine." 

"Leave me." I wiggled my hand, trying to be free from her grip. But Aera tightened her grip more. "What do you want?" 

"You, stay away from my husband." 

"There is nothing between us." I rushed out. The little confirmation stabbed my heart. Because there was nothing in between us. 

"Really? Why did Jungkook hug you from behind? What he was whispering to you?" Aera pulled my hand in my back, squeezing it. I yelped but lowered my voice so nobody see us. 

"You are mistaken," I whispered, trying to turn around. But Aera stopped me. I sighed. "You don't deserve to threaten me when you don't deserve to have Jungkook in the first place." I let go of the bitter words that lingered in my head. My chest was heaving in frustration. Aera was a hypocrite. She treated Jungkook like a pet, then dared to accuse me. If I were not unsure of my feelings, if I was not confused about Jungkook's feelings, I'd have shown Aera her place. 

Aera growled in my ear. Her breathing fell on my bare back. I glanced around us once, making sure no one was watching us. Yes, no one did. Everyone was busy on their own. "Leave me." I sighed. 

Aera hissed beside my ear. "How dare you bitch? How dare are you calling me out?" Aera squeezed my hand more. "You are no one but a secretary. You don't have the right to talk about us. You don't own Jungkook." Her every word stabbed me hard, filling my chest with heavy pain. I struggled to get free, and Aera hurt me more. "Don't think that you have a chance," she rasped, "Jungkook loves me. Only me." 

I didn't get a chance to respond as I sensed a push behind me. And before I knew anything, I was drowning in the water. I pushed my weight up, trying to reach the floor. But the water weight pushed me down. The icy water knocked the breath out of me. My heart raced, and my chest tightened. I fought to rise from the water. But my legs were weighted, heavy. I tried to kick my legs, but I failed. 

Water invaded my mouth and nose, cutting off the air. I let out a deep breath to blow the water out. Nothing helped me better. I was drowning further; my vision blurred, and the lack of air suffocated me. The noise of people shouting reached my ears, but the sound was low. I closed my eyes, hopes leaving my mind as the air was leaving my body. Even my arms felt heavy. I failed to move my legs and arms to get up. 

Just then, a familiar voice screamed my name. And everything went black.