ღ 08 ღ

CHAPTER EIGHT 

CHAPTER EIGHT 

Jasmine's pov 

My eyes opened and fluttered. I sensed a sharp pain traveling from my chest to the ribcage. I pressed my chest to soothe the pain. My breath shallower. I struggled to inhale the air. As if someone was choking me. I sat up slowly, inhaling slow and long breaths. My head was spinning lightly; the daze overtook my vision. I leaned my head on the headboard. A long sigh left my mouth. 

For a brief moment, I glanced around my room. The moonlight coming from the window lit up the dark room. I exhaled a sharp breath. I was in my room. I wasn't in the corridor of that suite. Another sigh left my mouth. It was a dream. The thought back to the suite shuddered me. I pulled my knees together and hugged them. I needed comfort. But I lived alone. I cut off ties with almost everyone. The only human who contacted me was my mother. There was no one else. I didn't trust anyone. 

I glanced at the clock. It was midnight. I didn't think I could sleep, not after the nightmare. I rolled down the bed and walked out of the room. The dark corridor gave my loneliness more stabs. I wanted someone with me. Who would hug me, say something sweet? Shaking my head, I went to fetch some water. 

Even after drinking three glasses of ice water, pacing in the living room, and watching a show, I was sleep deprived. I took the coat from the hanger and walked out of the house. I didn't own a car. I didn't need one. I strolled down the street in my neighborhood. There was a local bar, and I needed to refresh myself. 

I entered the bar. It was vacant. I strode to the counter. The bartender was preparing drinks for the few customers at the hour. There was a group of friends in a booth at my left. A lady in her fifties with a boy in his twenties was in another booth. I cringed when they kissed on the lips. "People these days." I rolled my eyes. Then my eyes landed on the man at the counter. His back looked familiar to me. And before I knew it, he turned around. His brown orbs stuck in my deep chocolate eyes. His mouth parted slightly, muttered something I didn't catch. 

"Jungkook?" I whispered. My legs took me towards him in a reflex. I inspected his state, messy hair, red and moist eyes, and a forced smile spread across his face. My hand involuntarily lifted, cupping his jaw. "Did something happen?" 

He sneered; his eyes roamed everywhere but me. I sighed. Jungkook gulped and looked at me. "Jasmine, you're here." 

"Yes," I mumbled slowly, "I'm here." I realized that Jungkook was sober. He wasn't drunk like the last time. A sigh of relief left my mouth. 

"What are you doing here?" Jungkook asked; the authority in his voice was lacking, disappointing me. I liked it when he dominated me — sexually or tenderly. Right now, I knew — he was at his lowest. And I hate to see him like that. I could bring my life to an end to keep him happy. And I meant that. 

"I couldn't sleep." I moved my weight away from him. Taking a seat on the stool, I faced him. Jungkook had his brows raised. I chuckled. "I watched a horror movie before going to bed. And the uneasiness filled the space. So, I walked into the bar." 

Jungkook didn't buy my lie. But he didn't push me either. He just nodded his head. "You shouldn't be in such places at night. It could be dangerous for you." There it was — the authoritative tone he used, like this morning. I smiled. Jungkook raised his brow again. "What's so funny?" 

"It's nothing." I turned to the bartender and ordered my drink. Jungkook had his eyes settled on me the entire time. "So, what brought you here?" 

Jungkook inhaled a long breath. "Aera is back." He said in a deep tone I didn't hear from him. "She was strange tonight. He paused, probably lost in his thoughts. "I could see the Aera I met sixteen years ago." 

And something shifted in my heart. A perk of jealousy filled my empty heart. But why? I didn't own Jungkook. I couldn't claim him as mine. He was never mine. My eyes darted to the man as he sighed. 

"She wants to go on a trip." He croaked a smile. "A trip only for us." Again, the pang was there. Jungkook sipped the wine. He licked his lips and looked in the front. "I don't know what I feel about this. I am so confused. It's been a long time since Aera treated me like this — tenderly. She looked at me as if I was the only thing she had in her mind." 

"And if that was true, were you happy?" I voiced out my fear. The question left my parted lips like a low whisper. And he heard me. 

"I felt... Happy. Content. But there's a nag in my heart. What if Aera is temporary? The love she is providing me is temporary?" Jungkook looked down. "I'd be lost without it." 

My head spun in a reflex. I held the corner of the counter for support. What was this? The burning feeling in my heart. I had nothing to lose. Yet, I was acting all worked up. It wasn't possible to fall in love with someone in a month. Or was I falling for Jungkook? I blinked my eyes to hold back the tears. My throat went dry. A shaky breath left my mouth. 

I was quiet for a long moment. Probably because Jungkook was staring at me with concern. "Jasmine?" I jerked up from the thoughts. I looked at Jungkook briefly before averting my gaze. "What happens? Are you alright?" 

"Uh, I am fine." I tucked my hair behind my ear. The heaviness in my heart made it difficult for me to form a word. I pushed the empty glass. "I guess I should head back home."

Jungkook frowned. "Are you leaving? Stay a little longer, please." I ignored the longing in his voice. They were temporary. They were distracting. I'd given him more than what I had. The things I had never offered anyone before. 

"I have to go, Jungkook. Moreover, I have a duty — as your secretary. I have to be at the office on time. And if this has slipped your mind, we have a business party tomorrow, at your house. I will be there." I said, monotone filling my voice. 

Jungkook stared at me perplexed. His eyes searched for my emotions but I hid them. I was a pro to hide my feelings. I had to be a pro at that. I smiled, grabbing my purse. I cupped his jaw, brushing my lips in the corner of his mouth. "Don't stay here longer. Go back home. Mrs. Jeon is waiting for you." My voice cracked in the end. I smiled again and turned on my heels. I walked away from there. 

Tears fell down, my breath stuck in my throat and I wobbled my way back home. I had unexpectedly grown closer to Jungkook; expected the things I'd never have. Not from him at least. It wasn't his fault. It was me. I was at fault. I had to change it. For myself. I had to.