ღ 09 ღ

CHAPTER NINE 

CHAPTER NINE 

Jasmine's pov

I was in my cabin. I had a terrible headache this morning. I didn't get enough sleep last night. I didn't meet Jungkook yet — he didn't call me either. I wasn't feeling a single emotion about this. My heart was empty. Completely vacant. I had hoped for more, trying to reach the moon when I wasn't close to getting light of my own. I was miserable — trying to fix myself. I wanted to be a perfect girl like her. And in the process, I lost myself. Now, I didn't remember who I was. I didn't find happiness within my own company; how did I set my heart to gain more? 

The incoming of my phone broke my scattered thoughts. I glanced at the ID — Jungkook

I stared at the screen, frozen in my seat, watching the phone screen go black again. A shaky breath escaped my mouth. Before I could distract myself with something else, the screen lit up again. A notification popped up. 

Jungkook: Meet me in the cabin. Right now. 

I sighed. I forgot that I was Jungkook's secretary. I was bound to meet him. Even when my heart was falling apart, every sense in my head stopped me from thinking about him; I happened to stay most of the time with him — today and every day. 

I pushed myself from the chair, taking slow steps as I headed to his office. I knocked on the door first and waited for his response. "Come in, Jasmine." He called. I exhaled a deep breath before stepping inside the room. 

"You called me, sir?" I murmured before closing the door behind me. Jungkook shot up his head in my direction; a look crossed his face for a brief moment. The glance was heavy, dark, and empty. I ignored them, strolling to the desk. 

"Jasmine —" Jungkook closed his mouth, sighing deeply. "Can you please reserve hotel rooms in Las Vegas? For a week — on the next Friday." 

My mouth went dry at the response. So, Jungkook was taking Aera on a trip. Maybe, they were ready to work their marriage out. That was something good for them. Good for him. I had seen the separation in his eyes last night. I heard the pain in his voice when he told me about Aera's brutal behavior. 

A part of me wanted to be with Jungkook. A piece of my heart thought that Jungkook wasn't happy in the relationship. He wasn't. My poor heart believed I could be Aera, not her personality, but her position in his life. I'd given him the love and care Aera failed to provide as a wife. There wasn't a way I'd replaced Aera when Jungkook wanted her only. I didn't know what those moments meant for Jungkook when he kissed me, played with my bosoms, and made me come shamelessly. 

If he loved Aera, why'd he cheat on her? Why did he allow me in his privacy? My head spun with a load of these questions. 

"Jasmine?" My eyes traveled to the front, looking at the source. Jungkook stared at me, his eyes filled with concern. "Are you okay?" 

"Huh? I am fine. I apologize for the misbehavior." I bowed. "I will reserve a hotel room. Do you want anything else?" 

"No. Make sure the rooms are big." He said. 

"Okay." I bowed again, then left the space. 

.....

The business meeting was going smoothly, as I had arranged. Jungkook was talking to Mr. Shin on the porch. I organized the party in the backyard of his house. His mansion became familiar to me. I somewhat knew every corner now. 

I was standing at the entrance to welcome our next guest, Mr. Choi, and his wife. I hadn't encountered Aera yet. Fortunately, she was busy chatting with her friends. I didn't get it. Why did Aera invite her friends to the business party? Just because the party was in their house? 

Mr. Choi and his wife arrived. I bowed to them. "Good evening, Mr. Choi," I told the elderly man. 

Mr. Choi smiled at me. "Nice to see you again, my dear. I met your dad last week. He was so proud of you." 

I smiled warmly at him. Mr. Choi was not only Jungkook's client; he was my dad's old friend. "Thank you for coming. I hope you are doing well." I then turned to Mrs. Choi. "It's nice to see you after a long." 

"Yes. I was homesick, traveled to New York, and stayed with my daughter for a long time." Mrs. Choi informed me. We laughed and headed to the backyard. 

I was attending to the guests, and suddenly a firm grip on my forearm dragged me out of place. I yelped but halted when Jungkook whispered in my ear. "Shh, it's me." 

I glanced around. We were probably behind the poolside. The walls separated us from the loaded backyard, shielding us from the eyes. 

"What are you doing?" I breathed out. My back was brushing his hard chest. His grip was still on my arm. Jungkook leaned in, resting his cheek on my shoulder. His breath was fanning me. His hand slid up and down on my arm, caressing my skin. I let out a few shuddered breaths. 

"Why are you avoiding me?" He didn't ask me but demanded an answer. His commanding tone aroused goosebumps on my arms and neck. I shivered, trying to get out of the situation. But Jungkook held my wrist, wrapping his other arm around my middle, stopping me there. "Please." His tone came out low and rasped. "Tell me if I did something wrong, buttercup." 

My breath got stuck in my throat. The name slipped from his lips and sounded like magic. Yet again, he addressed me with another nickname. And this name wasn't sultry, ones he used when pleasing me in his ways. This name had better feelings; I hoped he meant something behind the nickname he gave me. 

Sensing my stillness, Jungkook turned me around slowly. I was looking down, not wanting to meet his gaze. But I knew that was either intimidating or the opposite — soft and delicate. One of those looks he gave me after a kiss. As if I was a precious flower he'd found after a long search. 

"Look at me." He demanded in a soft voice. I refused to obey him. I'd lose my shit if I looked at him. But Jungkook took a second to destroy my guards. He put his index finger under my chin and lifted my head slowly. "Please, buttercup, don't hurt me." 

My head snapped at him. "Am I... hurting you?" That was the last thing I'd think to do. Probably the thing I'd never do. I looked deep into his eyes, searching for an answer. Indeed, his eyes were glossy, staring back at me hopelessly. 

"I don't know," Jungkook breathed. "You are not at fault. But I can't hide my feelings from you. You are hurting me, buttercup." 

I gaped for air; my heart was tightening with an unknown emotion. I hurt Jungkook. I break the precious man. "When did I hurt you, love?" I breathed out. The last word skipped from my heart and straight out of my mouth. 

"When you left me alone last night." Jungkook sighed. His hand came to my face, cupping my jaw. "I thought it was right to let you go. But I didn't expect you to act all professional and cold this morning." Jungkook licked his lips. His eyes never left my orbs. "I felt that I'd lose you. Forever." 

My breathing shuddered. My hands came up instinctively, cupping Jungkook's face. "I'm sorry..." But Jungkook shook his head. 

"Don't say sorry. I know that I did something for you to act like that. You do things for a reason." Jungkook's breath shaky hit my face. I hate to see him like that.  

"But, this is not the right place to discuss the matter." My hands dropped to my sides. "What if someone sees us together? I don't want to ruin that one chance to work out your marriage." I moved back, and the slight distance between us tore me apart. I controlled my emotions, pulled a forced smile, and stared at Jungkook. 

"Go back to the party, Mr. Jeon. And don't create a fuss over anything." I huffed, and a string of pain stabbed my heart repeatedly. I sighed, walking away from there. I didn't look back at Jungkook to see what he was doing. I didn't care if he was mad. I didn't want to tangle with something that wasn't mine.