Chapter 26

All of them were having dinner after coming back from the mall. Karishma told Pushpaji about her coincidentally meeting with Andy and how she compensated for her rude behavior by having coffee with Natasha. Haseena was intently listening to the mother-daughter duo, and was happy knowing that there is nothing between Karishma and Natasha.

Karishma was constantly taking about Natasha with much admiration and adoration, that it seemed as if she was impressed by her. Haseena felt hurt, since Karishma had never spoken so fondly of someone before. However, she brushed these feelings aside since, after all, this was Karishma's life. She was content with knowing Karishma had a soft spot for her. At the end of the day, that was what mattered to her.

It's been a few weeks, the bond between Haseena and Karishma has been growing slowly, but every now and then, they continue their cute banter. The change in the equation between the two was noticed by Pushpaji, and she was glad that Karishma had started bonding with someone.

During a weekend afternoon, Pushpaji and Haseena were busy cooking in the kitchen, filling the house with a delicious aroma.

Karishma enters the house after her shift to find the duo busy with their work. As of late, Karishma has been enjoying watching Pushpaji and Haseena would cook in the kitchen chatting and gossiping about something and they always looked so content that they had shine in their eyes while smiling throughout that was hard to ignore. Throughout her life, Karishma has seen her mother happiest while cooking, but with Haseena, it was unusually delightful. She began to adore it from a distance without disturbing them.

Karishma was leaning on the backdoor frame and smiling, watching them without interference.

When Pushpaji turned to place the cookie tray on the slab, she saw Karishma standing and smiling. She asked loudly, "Aree Krishu tu kab aayi"?

Karishma came out of her trance and spoke, "Abhi abhi aayi hu bas."and then moved to the kitchen slab and said, "Wowwww pura ghar cookies k khushbu se bhara hai….. Small time business shuru kar rahe ho kya dono"

As Karishma picked up the cookie to eat, Pushpaji struck her on her hand and said, "Put it down right now!"

“Ouchhh Amma” replied Karishma “Ek hi toh liya tha”

“Humari university ne ek event orgainse kiya hai….. Those who wish to donate anything for the foster children's bright future can come and help.  I have volunteered the event. Isliye hum un bacho k liye cookies aur cup cakes bana rahe hai aur mai nahi chahti ki kam pade tere liye baad mai bana dungi” explained Pushpaji.

Haseena smiled and passed Karishma a cookie, saying, "Koi nahi pushpee hume itne saari banai hai bilkul kaam nahi padenge……. Khane dijiye na une"

Karishma grabbed the cookie and ate it as she waited for her taste buds to enjoy it; still holding the cookie in her mouth, she then said "Thank you Galib aur Amma it's so good" and blew a kiss to Pushpaji.

Haaseena smiled as she watched Karishma's cute antics while Pushpaji was irritated and said, "Aaj kal dekh rahi hu tum dono ne aapni ek team bana li hai.” Before any of them could respond, Pushpaji screamed "Hey Shivji" in an overdramatic manner, while Haseena and Karishma widened their eyes in shock. "Dekha Shivji yaha east or west ka aapse mai bane kya laga muj bichari abla ko side kar diya inn logo ne."

"Baap ree baap," murmured Karishma, and Haseena instantly came out of shock after hearing her voice.

Haseena came towards Pushpaji and hugged her side while saying "Tauba tauba Pushpee, hum aapki side shod k kisi ki side nahi ja sakte... Aur inki.... inki side se aacha hum circle na bana de..."

While Haseena chuckled at her own joke, Pushpaji smiled internally, but Karishma made a nasty face and said, "Agli baar thodi aur mehnat karna kya pata actual mai aacha joke crack kar sako."