Chapter 24

Karishma asked Natasha about her favourite coffee and decided to get it for them. Natasha headed towards Andy as she picked her favourite bento cake and the two proceeded to the table where Karishma joined them with a cup of coffee. The trio had a small celebration, while Andy was quietly eating her cake. Karishma and Natasha sipped their coffee.

In an attempt to break the silence, Natasha asked, "I didn't know you were so good with kids."

Karishma exclaimed, "Honestly, this is my first time, and Andy seems to be a wonderful child." as she looked at Andy, who was eating her cake.

Natasha smiled while looking at Karishma with admiration and affection, she said, "She is but still helping her plan the surprise is so thoughtful, thank you Captain Singh"

'Karishma, you can call me Karishma,' Karishma replied while Natsha grinned wholeheartedly. She had this smile spread across her face while she was with Karishma; she herself was unaware of what exactly she was feeling.

Suddenly, Karishma’s face lit up when she remembered Haseena and her words and she said "Actually, someone told me a few days ago that at the end of the day what matters is the happiness of mother, and Andy would be happy if you are happy."

Andy's voice gained Natasha's attention while she was lost in Karishma’s words. "Can I play with that doggie, Mommy?" she pleaded.

Natasha nodded in agreement and Andy walked over to the dog nearby.

Natasha turned towards Karishma with a saddened expression and said, "Andy's parents died two years ago in a car Accident."

Karishma was shocked to hear that, and Natasha continued "Andy's mother was my elder sister; we were four siblings after my parents divorced. My other elder sister and brother used to live with my dad while Andy's mother Aria and I lived with my mom. When our mother passed away when I was 14, Aria took over my responsibility and was like my second mother. Despite our age difference of six years, she took care of all my needs. She even paid for my education. Aria found love and got married. Soon after she told me I was going to be an aunty, we were so excited to have a new life. It was the happiest day of my life when Andy was born. We were having a happy life. But life can be unpredictable, and we lost Aria. Since I didn't want Andy to be fostered, I decided to adopt her and take care of her like her mother did for me. My elder sister Carol also supported me in my decision.

"It was a brave decision," said Karishma and placed a hand on Natasha's hand to comfort her, as Natasha's eyes were filled with tears as she reminisced about her sister.

Natasha glanced at Karishma's hand as the hold gave her the peace and harmony she needed that moment and soon she controlled her emotion and with a smile she said, "Being a mom to this muchkin for two years has been an amazing journey and I am enjoying every minute of it. I have the option of flying in turns, more like day shift, so that I can come home every day, and if I'm flying long, my sister Carol will take care of her. This is why we moved here in Canada, so Carol can be with us since she has been settled here for a long time.”

“I was all alone today on my birthday and I had no idea that Andy would understand my sadness behind my smile, but you made my day,” Natasha said, placing her hand on Karishma's. “I am so touched by your gesture. It really means a lot to me. Sometimes all you really need is someone to listen to you."

Karishma just smiled at her. Haseena watched this from a distance and couldn't believe Karishma was having coffee with someone while holding hands with them.

“Jhooti…..Besharam……Behaya……Bemurawat insan ye waha aapni aama ko keh kar aayi hai k kisi kam se mall ja rahi hai aur yaha dekhiye mohtarma gulcharre uda rahi hai…. Us din toh aise dekhaya k ek dusre ko jante tak nahi hai aur aaj haatho mai haath dalkar baithe hai. Kitni kitni badi dokhebaaz hai ye hume yakin nahi ho raha hai. Hume na bohot nahi bohat zada gussa aa raha hai inpar” thought Haseena and walked out of the mall fuming in anger.