Chapter 58

Chapter 58
Heart-Shaped Rage

She headed to go and see Hayley.

She was sitting on a bench, by a tree she had planted next to Jackson's heart. A classic Crescent tradition.

She invited herself to sit down, next to her. "This is familiar" she declared, shuffling around until Hayley was squeezed up next to her. "You know" she sighed, digger her hands into her pockets "when my father died ... the second time. I buried his heart next to a tree me and my sister all but lived by when we were kids," she told her.

"Did it make you feel better" Hayley whispered, her voice almost getting lost in the wind.

"For a moment. While I was there" she admitted, smiling at the memory. "And then I left, and all I could feel was how cold I was without the simple brush of his hand on my shoulder," she admitted, her voice having lost a hint of joy within its reminiscence. "And it hurt, it always will" she confessed.

Hayley didn't notice her hand, brushing over her palm. "Thank you" she whispered. And Andrea accepted it. Hayley needed to grieve and if she needed time, she could have it.

Her phone began to ring, breaking the tranquil silence of the birds that were singing in the breeze, making the two of them jump. "Sorry" she murmured, before answering.

"Freya's missing and Aurora's taken her, if Elijah's right then she's probably buried alive" Klaus declared, with a small sense of fear hiding in his voice.

"I'm coming" she stammered, laying a hand on Hayley's shoulder. She would have stayed, but like always there wasn't enough time.

And time seemed to slip away even more. When she began to tread through the woods, it suddenly felt like needles were pricking over her skin, and when the sun around her eyes began to swirl, laying on a girl with black hair but that was all she saw. Her ears hummed like a bee was trapped inside, and before she knew her head hit the ground, a violent hum in her ears.

~*~

Aurora watched Freya roll awake, a cynical grin of pride smothered over her face. "What did you do to me?" she asked when she saw the vampire looming over her.

"I used the same concoction on you that my brother crafted for my ... episodes" she explained, a strange pride on her face. "It's rather effective, wouldn't you say?"

Freya pulled herself up trying in vain to cast a spell, dropping to the sofa feeling like the magic had been sucked out from her bones.

"Poor, dear" she pouted. "To think, Freya, we could've been sisters" she muttered, shaking her head. "Shame, she got in the way," she said, with a nod.

Freya turned around with a gasp. Andrea was lying out on the sofa, her hair whipped over her face, arms dropped to the side like she had been completely caught off guard. But most worrying of all, black veins ran along her skin.

"What did you do?" Freya asked, her voice shaking but she couldn't drag herself off the sofa to reach her.

She was too weak.

Aurora tutted. "Unfortunately, I've spent enough time with witches, to know that casting spells require focus, and focus requires clarity of mind, something you don't currently have" she explained. "Oh, and of course, you're on a magic high, that could kill you any second" she shrugged, with a small sequel of excitement.

Freya couldn't tear her eyes off Andrea's body and then it made sense. Her magic was being channelled into her, every spell she tried to cast was sending Andrea into a deeper sleep and slowly killing her through magical exhaustion. The only way for her to help ... was to do nothing.