[9.1] A KEFFERS LUCK

Start from the beginning

"And I know what authority I have over you," he continued, his voice slightly softer this time, my eyebrows arching as I took note of this.

A passing moment hovered between us, the sounds of our low breaths in the air. Mine followed slightly with panic.

"Look at me."

The command came strong but calm. I remained frozen. I couldn't understand why he asked this of me, it was against Madam Catherine's rules.

"You've done it more than once; you can certainly do it again."

My heart began that hard pound inside me. I couldn't understand if he desired for me to look up or if this was a reason to relieve my head off my body.

I shut my eyes, burying the panic that stormed within me, reminding myself my fate had always been certain. If I was to die, however, I would die as Shade Shadows, and not as a Keffer slave.

"Keffer?" he sang questionably but softly, his voice hanging in the air.

"Shade," I whispered, lowly to myself mostly, before looking up, capturing those peculiar eyes once more, his eyebrows slightly arched, lips a loose breath apart.

"Shade." He repeated, a dark glint in his eyes as they traveled my face for a moment.

Goosebumps traveled through my skin as he replayed my name. Something about the way he said it, how he played with it, I had only whispered it, but he had plucked it from its hidden pocket in thin air.

Wolves. Of course.

It can only be his sharp hearing.

His fingers moved toward my face, I hated when people tried to touch my skin and my hair, leaving their hateful comments about it, pulling at it.

I waited for that moment, closing my eyes softly, but it never came. I opened them, noticing his fingers had frozen spaces away, his eyes still studying my face, before pulling away, hands clasping behind his back.

I should have felt relieved but I knew, if he didn't touch it, it could be because he was the kind that thought of himself as to worthy to touch a Keffer.

I simply could not win.

"Do you accept?" He asked.

My eyebrows drew together. He was serious then? I could tell from the look in his eyes and the tightness in his jaw.

"Why would you wish to protect a Keffer if you could simply take what you want?" I asked softly, uncertain of the boldness I was displaying.

He rolled his eyes for a second, sighing, as he looked away, his eyes trailing to the bookshelf for a moment, before looking back at me, catching me suddenly as I studied the sharp outline of his side profile, causing me to catch a breath.

"Perhaps I have many slaves to control, perhaps it would be refreshing... for my study to have one to whom I can truly understand," he paused, his head slanting slightly as he studied me.

"If you can offer me that, I will give you my protection in exchange."

"Y-You need willingness."

He paused in my eyes at this, then nodded slowly.

"I need you to be free and open if I am to study you. I have my interests and my reasons. Looking into my eyes, I will be able to read your honesty."

I took out a shallow breath, my eyes dropping to the floor for a moment as I thought this through.

"A-and if I agree-" I began, uncertainty in my voice as I cleared my throat, "You say you will protect me. You have power over the guards, b-but Madam Catherine watches over us, she k-keeps us safe from them-" I paused, gulping, "At least so far," my eyes snapped up to him pausing for a moment.

"I only need protection from one being..."

"The Night Wolf."

We held each other's gaze as I nodded slowly.

"Y-yes but no one can protect me from him. My days are numbered in his court. And if the masters already know of my existence-" I swallowed bitterly.

"I am afraid it will only be a matter of time till he does."

Silence again.

"The Night Wolf will not hurt you."

My eyes snapped to him, nervously chuckling dryly for a bit.

"He will, I am a Keffer in his court. We are not supposed to live so long in his region," I whispered the last part softly.

He held my gaze for a moment, his jaw tightening before suddenly walking past me.

My eyebrows arched, eyes following him, my body slightly turning.

"I will keep the other masters in order, they will listen to me. I am the Night Wolf's most trusted master after all."

My eyes widened at this, my heart beating lowly. His most trusted master? Could I be this lucky? Was it possible?

Could I even trust him?

Then again, he had no reason to lie. I could be safe, at least until I had an escape plan.

"Still, you are right, it has its risks. Trusted or not, The Night wolf does what he pleases," He trailed off, whilst my heart fell slowly.

He turned round again facing me. "Think about it, Shade. I'll return for your answer."

With that, he moved through the aisles, getting lost in the flicker of light.

•|•|•
Please drop a comment if you're enjoying the story and vote! I'll appreciate it!
•|•|•