Chapter 49 - Hogback: Invisible?

Depuis le début

I kept my suspicions up as I tuned into the conversation.

"Yeah, I was surprised! I thought Cerberus was an imaginary animal." Chopper responded to the little man.

"That terrifying beast must be a mutant or something!" Usopp grumbled at the thought of the three-headed dog that chased us into the forest. I shuddered remembering the memory.

"I was afraid we were going to be eaten when you found us." Usopp continued.

"The mansion is the best place to wait for your friends." The little man responded, yet again, not blinking, " It stands out and it's safe."

'He's right about one thing. It stands out. When Luffy or Franky get on this island, I know they are heading straight for the castle.

But safe? I think the four of us will be the judge of that, though I don't want to be...'

"Plus... I'll get to meet Dr. Hogback!"

I sighed thinking about Chopper and one of his idols.

Chopper has been venting this whole time about meeting one of his favorite doctors, but now that I've been to Thriller Bark, any man who lives on this island willing is a freak and a nutcase. End of discussion.

"Is he all that Famous?" [Usopp]

"There isn't a doctor that doesn't know his name! He's a famous surgeon." [Chopper]

'Great. Now the nutcase is a surgeon.'

"With his miraculous operations, he's saved as many people as there are stars! He has obtained status, honor, and everything you could get as a doctor! He's earned the respect of doctors around the world!" [Chopper]

"But then he suddenly vanished one day."

I sat up in my seat seeing Chopper's distressed face.

"Some say he went missing, others say he was abducted. It threw the medical world into an uproar for a while, but in the end, no one could find any leads. Now, he's on the verge of becoming a legend."

Chopper's mood did a 180.

"You mean that Dr. Hogback, right?" He lit up, looking at the little man.

"Indeed! The doctor is still inducting research that goes beyond the boundary of human knowledge." [Little man]

"Would it be ok if I asked for his autograph?~" [Chopper]

"If that's all you want, then I'm sure you'll be fine." [Little man]

'-If that's all you want?-'

"-NO!" [Nami]

Usopp, Chopper, and I jumped in our seats to the random yelling of Nami, who was slamming the curtain shut next to her.

Nami dumped her glass over to Chopper, who screamed at the wine, while Usopp screamed just because he was scared.

"Jeez!- Nami, what's wrong?!" I yelled.

"What's your problem?! Don't freak me out!" Usopp yelled after me.

"What was it?!" Chopper questioned.

"J-Just now I saw a l-lion outside!" Nami stuttered

She held up a pathetically drawn lion with a stitched face and a butt chin, "I-It looked like this." She said with all seriousness.

" She said with all seriousness