All is Fare in War

Valarie opened fire on us but I moved out of the way just in time. Hiding behind a bench, I take a peek and some dead bodies on the floor.

"Where are you?" she took out her phone. I take a look at mine and discover the mini-map was one and notice two red dots moving away. Panicked, I tuck my phone into my bag and run out of there.

"Follow me." yelled the kitsune as it ran ahead of me and I do so. We run until we got to the middle of the carnival which showed the paths leading to the different carnival attractions.

"This path is open. It will lead you to the next shard of the mirror."

I look at my phone to find the other contestants and discover I was alone. With the rest of the entrances leading to the rest of the attractions closed, I take the open path keeping my ears open for any sudden movements.

Then I hear a sound of a machine and quickly hide behind a small building. Hearing the noise again, I take out my bow, grab an arrow from my quills, and posed with it.

'Okay now take a deep breath.' said my inner voice and I do that. 'Three...'

'Two...'

'One! Now!'

I jump out of my hiding place and shoot an arrow into the darkness.

'Great! I just wasted an arrow.'

'In that case, where is the sound coming from?'

My instincts perked up as I picked another arrow from my quill. Eyes, darting to the left and then to the right, I silently move away from the building, turn around and launch an arrow at the robot above me.

"So that's where you were..."

Someone screamed and before I knew it, I was on the floor trying to stop one of the robots from trying to stab me in the head. Flipping over, I grab my knife from my leg harness and plunge it into the robot's skull.

"Phew! That was close." I place the knife back in my leg harness and take another arrow from my quills. "It looks like this path isn't safe to walk in."

I continued to be on high alert until I reached a huge door. Putting my weapons aside, I open it revealing a huge field with a huge animatronic robot wearing a school uniform standing in front of a tree.

"What the..."

Then a door a few meters away from me to my left opened and another female contestant rushed in. I watch her struggle to close the door as one of the robots tried to keep it open but she eventually managed to keep it shut.

Panting, she looked at me then at the robot. "What's going on?"

"COME ON! DON'T TELL ME YOU NEVER PLAYED RED LIGHT GREEN LIGHT. IT IS A VERY EXCITING GAME!"

'Red light green...' my eyes widen in horror. 'Oh sh!t!'

'I JUST TWEAKED IT A BIT TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A DEATH GAME!'

Then the door to my right opened and two male contestants appeared panting.

"Wha...what's going on?" one asked.

"We are playing 'Red Light Green Light!'" yelled the female contestant.

Another one of them groaned. "You have got to be kidding me!"

"AWW, DON'T SINK INTO DESPAIR YET DARLING." cackled the voice. "EVERYTHING GOES AS LONG AS YOU GET TO THE OTHER END OF THE FIELD WITHOUT GETTING KILLED. BESIDES, ALL OF YOU HAVE AN ADVANTAGE UNLIKE HER."