Raibaru Fumetsu

The sun's rays nearly blinded me when I opened my eyes and the cold air took me by surprise. Sitting up and looking around, I realize I was in the park far away from the school's haunted auditorium but my body was in pain.

Stinging pain.

"Ugh, how did I get here?"

"I carried you here." said a familiar voice.

Looking around, I see the kitsune sitting next to me.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" It asked.

Confused I look across the field and discover it was talking about the sun rising behind the trees from the horizon bringing the birds to life as they chirped.

This for some reason made me smile. "Yes. It is."

The kitsune sighed. "Too bad moments like this don't last long."

"What do you..."

A truck honking loudly passed us followed by the greetings and yelling of people and students in uniform walking to school.

"See?"

I chuckle. "Yeah, I see. This reminds me of my hometown. My parents always woke me up to watch the sunrise."

"And I am glad you remembered that without having a headache."

This confused me. "What do you mean?"

It's silence as my answer.

"So, how do you feel?" it asked changing the subject.

I tried moving but the pain stopped me. "Sore."

"You are lucky she didn't attack you so hard." it stood up and began to walk away. "Just sit in one place and it will go away."

"Why hasn't the Imperial Blade healed me?" I ask.

It stopped and looked back. "It's lost most of the power when you were fighting with Jake."

I recall what happened in the labyrinth. "When we were fighting, he..."

"...transformed and cut your weapon in half?"

My eyes grew to the size of saucepans.

"Once he did that, all the spirit power you have been collecting had been released and the only way you can get it back is by vanquishing spirits."

"You mean, I have to start from scratch?"

"Yep."

Now I was starting to regret picking a fight with him in the labyrinth. I honestly thought I was going to win and like Gwen, I underestimated him. "How was he able to do that?"

"To do what?"

"To transform himself into that?" clasp my hands to stop them from shaking. "How was he able to do it? He was so...so strong!"

"Remember what I told you about spirit energy and what our soul does to our body?" It asked swishing its tails.

I nod and silence took over. Quickly connecting the dots, I realize what just happened. "You mean..."

"He tapped into his spirit energy. That's how he grew stronger."

"Was that how he was able to make his weapon powerful enough to cut through mine?"

It nodded and gave a little shake. "As I said, once you tap into the power of your soul, you are capable of doing the impossible. He must have tapped into his earlier than yours and his quest to win your heart must have been the determination behind his spirit cultivation."