Fires and Butterflies

Third POV

In the dark workshop where the tinkling of equipment could be heard, Jake hummed along with the song's lyrics as he picked up a tweezer and carefully placed the microchip into the teacup. The song ended and so he played it again placing another phone on the table. Opening it up and tearing out its parts he placed a microchip inside it and fixed it back carefully placing it next to the other pile of phones on the table.

'Great! That was the last one!' he stood up, stretched until his joints popped, and replayed the song while staring at the picture of Emma on his phone.

The next day...

Arriving at school earlier than the rest of the students, Jake waited behind the shoe lockers for Emma to come. Many students came in and opened and closed their lockers but he remain unfazed for he memorized Emma's footsteps, how she came in and how she opened her locker.

The minute he heard a tiny squeak, he walked around and saw her reaching down to grab her shoes.

"Good morning Beloved," he said but she ignored him and proceeded to put her shoes inside her locker. "How are you today? Did you sleep well?"

She didn't respond. Something in him cracked for he hated being ignored and he started to fidget as anger seeped in him but he held it. After all, to catch a butterfly, you have to be sneaky. Especially if the butterfly is a rare specimen.

So, he continued to engage in small talk with her and she continued to ignore him. As they walked through the corridor, many students whispered and pointed at them seeing the change in her walking style, he guessed they were making her nervous.

'If only they just died and left us alone.' the thought as she continued to walk to class. 'If only she just stopped ignoring me.'

"You know Emma, I was angry when you decided to meet with the Oathbreaker the other day," he said once they got to class.

She sat at her desk and continued to ignore him.

"And so was his wife."

This caught her attention for her head snapped up in shock. Sweating profusely, he grinned for her eyes glued on him sent shock waves through his body and he liked it.

'She noticed me!' he gasped and was about to say something when the bell rang. Inwardly cursing, he left hoping she would track him down during lunch break to ask him some questions.

After all, to catch a butterfly, you need to plant the right kind of seeds to grow the right kind of flowers to attract it and he just planted the seed of curiosity.

Or was it the seed of fear?

Curious, he stealthy sent a message to her on his phone during class and waited for her during lunch on the school's roof. It was a private place now that her friends stopped hanging out there after Agatha bullied them out of it. He waited and waited but she didn't show up and only when he looked at his phone did he see why.

'Screw you!'

He read the message over and over again imagining the venom in her voice and tapped on the tracking app on his phone. Seeing it static, he recalled she had changed her phone along with her phone number so he tried the one he placed on her panties.

It showed static too. Either she wore the wrong pair of panties which was impossible since she's a sucker for silk underwear or she threw them out and replaced them.

His heart was beating.

His head was spinning.

The bell rang.