25 // time

The clock ticked, seconds passing before Eren spoke. "Conflict isn't necessary to solve Eldia's problems. Hanji and the others are fine." He assured, "We're just moving them." He says.

"Eren, we're the ones who wanted to talk." Armin tells him before moving onto questions. "What made you go attack Marley all on your own? Did Zeke and Yelena really talk you into joining them?" Armin asks. Eren kept quiet, listening to his words. "I am free." Eren stated clearly. "The things I do and the choices I make are all decided by my own free will." 

This led to the question; were his treacherous actions caused after meeting Yelena, the soldier from the first scout fleet three years ago? "Yes." Eren confirms by his own words. "No, you're being manipulated!" Mikasa followed abruptly. "You wouldn't get kids and innocents invovled, even if they were enemies! Plus, I know you care about us more than anyone!"

Seeing his lazy eyes that gave off the same unimpressed expression, Mikasa asked if her assumption was true. "The reason you saved me in the cabin... the reason you gave me this scarf..." Mikasa stood from her seat, holding onto the scarf. "It's because you're kind—"

"I said keep your hands on the table." Eren interrupted. Mikasa sat back down on her chair as Eren leaned on his. "I spoke with Zeke in Liberio, brother to brother. Zeke knows more about titans than even Marley does." Eren says before switching the subject. "Armin, aren't you still visiting Annie? Do you think that's your own free will?"

Startled, Armin tensed up. "If memories are what shape people, a part of you is Bertholdt now. Within you is an enemy with feelings for another enemy. Armin, Bertholdt has got into your head." Eren tells him ruthlessly. "You're the one manipulated by the enemy."

Seeing this tomfoolery, Mikasa chimed in to defend Armin. "Eren, what are—" "You, too, Mikasa." Eren cut her off. "The Ackermanns were intentionally designed to protect Eldia's king. Back then, faced with a life-or-death situation, you heard my order. 'Fight.' In that moment, instincts awoke from within you. By mistake, you thought I was the host you had to protect." 

"No..." Mikasa mumbled, staring down at the white tablecloth. "'No'?" Eren echoes, "No, what?"

"It wasn't a mistake." Mikasa says, "It's because it was you, Eren! I became strong because of you!" She says in an attempt to change how he perceived her actions back then, yet it almost sounded as if she was trying to convince herself. "Ackermanns with awakened powers apparently get sudden headaches. It happens when their old self resists being forced to protect their host. Sound familiar?"

Mikasa's eyes snapped open, denying these accusations to her clan. Her bloodline. "I'm saying..." Mikasa uttered a hurried "No." to try and stop Eren from speaking ill of her actions that she made to primarily save him. "Your family was made to forget who they are and live only to protect. In other words, slaves."

"Enough, Eren!"

Armin shouted, noticing Mikasa's distraught expression. "Do you know who I hate more than anyone? Those who aren't free. Just like livestock." Eren resumed, disregarding Armin's attempts to stop him from speaking.

"Just seeing you has always pissed me off so much, and now I finally know why. I can't stand the sight of a slave who obeys orders without question. Ever since I was little... 

Mikasa, I've always hated you."

Mikasa took one glance at him, and his unsympathetic expression paired with his tongue that spoke of lies was enough. Tears began to well in her eyes, refusing to believe that she's only prioritized him not only because she wanted to, but because she was forced to. 

Armin kicked away his chair and went on the table to hit Eren for him to stop. "Eren! How could you say that to—" Armin found himself forced down onto the table with his hand behind his back. He winced, looking up to see who had done so. Unfortunately, it wasn't Eren. Rather, it was someone unexpected.