Fateful Encounter

Start from the beginning

"I'M SORRY! PLEASE DON'T HIT ME!"

You perked up when you heard someone in distress from a block away, as did other passersby who simply ignored it and carried on with their day, doing nothing more than glance in the direction it was coming from, whisper to their companion, and continue walking with a shrug.

Papyrus covered his eye sockets with his gloved hands in fear, when he felt nothing and shakily lowered his hands to see the officer telekinetically thrown across the parking lot, and he almost assumed it was his brother's doing but quickly realised the magic was an unfamiliar red glow and there was no one else but him and another human.

"HUMAN!" Papyrus called you out just as you were about to walk away, startling you and causing you to teleport. He then sighed and said in an uncharacteristically quiet voice. "... Thank you."

「Sans POV」

Sans stretched, popping a few bones and swinging his legs to the edge of the bed to put on his fuzzy pink slippers and shuffle downstairs, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "What was I supposed to do again? Oh yeah, Paps wanted me to go pick up some ingredients for his spaghetti." He paused for a moment of thought and shrugged. "Welp. Guess I'll just take a shortcut."

「Y/n POV」

You tried to lift a heavy bag of potatoes and faltered, dropping it and causing it to spill four of them as you mentally cursed yourself.

One potato...

Two potatoes...

Three potatoes...

Mentally keeping count as you picked them up, you scanned the floor not seeing the fourth one when someone tapped you on the shoulder. The finger felt unnaturally slender and not soft, but was gentle to the touch.

"Hey, spuddy." A deep voice spoke as you looked up to see a skeleton in a blue hoodie, much shorter than the one that was towering over you several minutes ago in the store parking lot. "What? Potato puns are a-peeling."

At the same time, he was also taking in your appearance that was strikingly similar to someone he still had nightmares of, the rosy cheeks and red eyes, but brushed it off in time before you said something.

"I yam just a spec-tator." You finally spoke after taking a few seconds to get used to his appearance, which wasn't too difficult because he resembled a human more than other monsters, and he started laughing.

"Heheh, that's pretty good, kid." He wiped a glowing blue tear out of his eyes that you presumed was magic considering monsters were made of magic, unlike humans who were made of fluid. "The name's Sans. Sans the Skeleton. What's your name?"

"Y/n..." You told him your name as you accepted the dropped potato he handed you.

Your hands touched for a brief moment, and you confirmed that it was the same bony hand that touched you earlier.

"I guess you could say I... gave you a hand back there. Heh." He chuckled at how you looked at the bones and joints of his hand in yours with big curious eyes, quickly pulling away when he noticed.

"I'm sorry, I just..." You kept your gaze on the tiled floors of the store and backed away a few steps. "I've never seen skeletons before."

"It's alright, kiddo." Sans sheepishly stuffed his hands back in his pockets. "I can't imagine what it's like seeing monsters in your world all of a sudden. You're taking it a lot better than other humans, I'll tell you that much."

"Our world."

"What was that, kid?" He hummed, making an expression as if he was raising an eyebrow.

"It's our world now." You quietly said as you managed to pick up the sack of potatoes, unknowingly dropping something in the process, and though it blocked your sight you had no trouble exiting the aisle.

"Hey, kid- Y/n, wait!" He grumbled in frustration that he was too late to ask for your phone number when he saw you dropped a card and picked it up. It was your ID card.

_______________________________________

We are related to Chara as a distant relative. I think Chara died hundreds of years ago because they were the first child to fall into the Underground. We are like the newest generation of Chara's bloodline. Chara is like the child of our great-great-great aunt. Not specified how many "greats" but many generations ago.

Y/n's appearance is not explicitly described in the text of the story, but below is a drawing I made as a default appearance for a canon visualisation of my image.

We have red eyes and rosy cheeks like Chara and are described to closely resemble them. Our powers are like StoryShift! Chara. There is telekinesis, teleport, and telekinetic red knives that can be summoned.

Y/n's personality is designed to be as relatable as possible so they may give common responses or whatever response people around them will like to hear. They are depressed though it does not explicitly say anywhere in the text because I prefer to show it than say it. This is how depressed people can look like to others in real life, charming but doesn't feel much. However, the experience is different for everyone. It feels as if there is a wet rag over your emotions all the time.

The title "Under the Surface" is because the monsters are on the surface now. It is also ironic because it says "under" but it is because it refers to "under the surface" as in getting to know someone for who they really are.