47. Plan

The day seems to be going by smoothly, although slow all at the same time

The day seems to be going by smoothly, although slow all at the same time. Doesn't help that I keep turning my wrist over to glance at my watch. The radio is on letting music flow through the truck, but I had turned it on for traffic which is flowing perfect.

Tanker sits in the passenger side seat, with his tongue hanging out watches the scene as we drive by. One song came on earlier and he did get to howling some, but the sound did get pitchy.

Time has been on our side in the form of traffic, letting us get farther than normal considering we are running through a city. Being in this city makes me miss the moutain range even more and that small town that is now home for me.

It has been years since I could think of a town being a home, because I thought I was complete being on the road all the time. The right person has came in my life to make me change that entire mindset.

I get outside of the city and look at my watch again. I know right now Samantha is an hour ahead of me, so it is her lunch time. I lean up and grab the headset connected to my phone. I tell the phone to call Samantha's cell and wait until it connects to the number.

Counting the rings, I know it is fixing to go to voicemail. When it goes to voicemail, I press the button on the headset to simply hang up and shift gears quickly. Once my speed it back up to the limit, my mind gets a little free.

I could call the clinic to see if she is even on lunch yet. I know she said her schedule was full today but was free for lunch. So I am figuring she is either busier than expected or she may not have her phone on her.

One thing I could do is call the clinic and see if she is on lunch or not. If not I may be able to get my plan in motion with Lola or Jovi. Hopefully, one of them will help me out and not tell Samantha of a plan I have came up with.

Screw it. I am going to go for it and try it out while hoping for the best. I tell the phone to call the Paws Care Vet Clinic. When it rings, I listen until the second ring a voice greets my ear.

"Paws Care Vet Clinic. May I help you?"

I know that is not Samantha's voice. "Hey Lola. Is Samantha on lunch yet?"

"She was fixing too but there was an emergency that came in. Taking her and Jovi's lunch away I believe." Lola replies.

"That is not good it may take their lunch away, but I know it is what they love to do."

"It is and they have gotten great at eating in between patients if they are hungry." Lola sighs. "I will let her know you called though."

"Actually, she will see a missed call on her cell so that doesn't worry me. Could you just keep this call to yourelf by chance? I do have a favor to ask since I have you on the line." I try to keep my voice calm and not let any nerves out in my tone.

"Okay? I might if it is a good thing." Lola hesitates.

"It is great that is a promise." I nod even though she can't see me.

"Deal. Tell me what favor are you needing." She whispers.

"In three weeks you know we will be getting the house. Right before we go to pay for the house and get the keys, I have a haul. Which with the way it is scheduled would have me coming in right when it is time to do all of that with the house. I would like to take Samantha with me on that haul. So could you make sure her schedule is not actually booked?"

"Sure. I would still keep them on the schedule to where she doesn't see those days being empty. Right now looking at it she only has two appointments and Jovi is open for those times so I will move them to his side. I do have to tell Jovi though too."

"That is just fine but I just want it to be a surprise to Samantha. Please."

"He won't say anything. I do have a question for you." Lola laughs lightly.

"What is that?" I ask.

"Are you going to propose to my sister during this time? Or is this a just get away thing before a huge step of officially having a house together?" Lola speaks quietly.

"I plan to propose." I get out and have to stop, as a sound that is like a screaming cat cuts everything else out.

"What is that thing?" Lola's voice sounds away from the phone.

I hear mumbling that is rushed, but can't make it out.

"Sorry. Are you there?" Lola's voice comes back to the phone.

"Yeah, I am here. Everything good there." I am confused.

"Perfect. The vets are tending to an injuried animal that they just brought into the clinic and now in the back." Lola sounds uptight.

"Samantha is in the clinic now?"

"Correct." Lola lets out a breath.

"So you were quiet in case she could hear you?"

"Yeah, the door was propped open." She whispers and I barely catch.

"Okay, well I hope that it is okay with you that I plan on asking Samantha to marry me." I get the last part out from earlier.

"More than happy with it." Lola chides, like it was crazy to her I would say that.

"Thanks Lola for being willing to help out. I am going to let you go sounds like it is a little hetic in there right now." I laugh.

The screaming or whatever has not stopped.

"It is. I am trying to figure out what it is actually." She laughs.

We hang up and a happiness washes over me. There almost feels like there is a completness there as well knowing that things are falling into place for the best in my life. It has been years since I have been happy like this, but I don't think I was ever this over the moon happy.

Now to find the perfect ring. There may be somewhere I can look while the trucks tires are being replaced. I don't want to put this off until the last minute, and will stop in towns or cities I am in until then if I must to find the perfect ring for my woman.

A/N---
Hey Hey Guys!!!

Slick plan on Shane's part or no?

Did the sound help to clue in on which animal Samantha and Jovi are trying to help?