44. Dead Run

Shane takes us to the rental place and he turns in the car

Shane takes us to the rental place and he turns in the car. When he unlocks the passenger door, I climb up and lean over to unlock his. The door opens and Tanker jumps in before Shane gets in the seat.

He starts the truck up and we wait for everything to fill up before we hit the road. Once down the main strip, he pulls the truck off to the shoulder.

"Everything okay?" I look over to him.

"Oh yeah, I figure we can go in there real quick and get some subs for our dinner." Shane jumps out.

"Tanker stay." Shane lets him know since he was preparing to leap out my side once I climb down.

I don't think I will ever be confident to just jump out of this truck like Shane does. Not to mention, I am still in my summer dress and two inch heels.

Shane takes my hand and we just about run across the parking lot to the little sub shop, while he left the truck running.

"Is that safe?" I point to the truck.

"For a quick stop yes. I got eyes on the truck and even though some have stolen a semi, it is far and few between on people that can actually drive one to pull it off. Also my insurance covers if something like that was to happen, but this size town I don't have worries about it."

I nod understanding what he means. This town really doesn't have the crimes.

With us having the subs, I got slick and paid quickly since Shane had me put in what I wanted first.

"Here you go sir." The second guy hands the bag to Shane with his sub.

Shane looks at him funny.

"I done paid." I smirk and take the receipt quickly and dash back outside.

Shane is following in behind and I start laughing. I look for traffic in the parking lot but keep up my small running pace. I glance over my shoulder and Shane has picked up his pace. So I just make a dead run for the truck.

I laugh like a manaic once I get to the door and pull it open. Arms wrap around my waist and pulls me back into a hard chest.

"No fair!" I laugh. "I had just got up the second step."

"What's not fair is you paying for the subs." Shane chuckles and spins me around.

He sets me on the first step and I huff.

"Thanks now I have to climb this second one again." I sass.

"Hold onto the bar and place the sub on the dash." Shane instructs.

I don't ask questions but just stretch and place my food on the dash and hold onto the bar. His hand is on my butt and he simply lifts me up and I bend my legs to where I am right at the seat. I look back and Shane had stepped up to the first step and pushed me up at the same time.