8. Off Kilter

I stand by the window at the front behind the counter

I stand by the window at the front behind the counter. The sound of Shane's truck when it starts up brings a sadness over me I hadn't felt before.

I knew this would come with him leaving, his dog is better and they have a job to do just like I do. I don't even know Shane. So what am I feeling?

Is it because this is the first time I could be around a guy and not get the feeling of how I can't trust them? I mean it is not like I trust Shane. I don't think so anyways. I only just met the guy.

It seems like the clinic gets quiet from the normal barks and whines. In this moment, I can hear when there is a pop and sounds of air being released before the truck starts to move. Within a few moments, the truck is on the road and moving away gaining speed. There is a memorizing way with how they can move such a large piece of machinary so smoothly like that.

"So?" Lola's voice speaks up behind me.

I turn and face her. "So what?" I try to play it off before she starts.

"A tall and mystery mans just happened to stay here in the clinic with you all night. You have never let anyone do that before." She raises an eyebrow at me.

I move over and let Oreo back inside the clinic from the side door, before unlocking the front door for the patients.

"Tanker was his service dog, so it only seemed right to make sure they got to stay together. Plus, Tanker was not in that rough of shape to deny his owner access to him." I reply without looking at her.

"She is blushing." Jovi speaks up to my side.

"What? No, I'm not." I turn around.

He smirks and walks over. "Then why is my dear friend a lovely shade of pink this morning? Didn't get enough sleep?" Jovi wiggles his brows.

"Not even that either. I slept in the chair right there with it being able to recline and I made Shane take the cot." I huff.

Lola and Jovi laugh together while I roll my eyes.

"First name bases with the owner." Jovi muses with a hum.

"Not to mention he was nice looking and close to your age by looks." Lola snickers.

"I'm not going there Lola." I try not to laugh since hers is contagious.

"Oh come on Samantha, you got a eye full. You can't tell me a whole night with eye candy like that something wasn't sparked in you." Jovi chides.

Oh trust me it sparked something in me, but what it is has me feeling confused. I guess I could talk to Lola and Jovi about it, but then they will push me towards Shane.

It could never work though. Not only because I have trust issues but because he is over the road and I will probably never see him again.

That last thought actually makes my chest hurt and sadness creep up in me.

Shane was a total gentleman while he was here. I know there is a story behind him, but then again doesn't everyone.

Even if I could open myself to him and learn to trust, I would be scared history would repeat itself. Just in a different form and I would be more affected even worse.

There is something about Shane though that seems to pull me towards him. Maybe because he was a gentleman and never once tried to make a move. Not like I would have stopped him, or well I would say that because it's been so long since I had thay type of touch and just not use the shower head at my house to relieve some tension.

"Lola what do I have for today." I snap out of my thoughts and ready to focus on more animals that need me.

She hands me the print off schedule and I walk to the back. Grabbing some papers off my desk before I walk back to her, letting her know those babies are ready to go home.

Once it is lunch time, I set at my desk going over and filing charts. Shane's cologne he had on or at least smelled of still lingers in this back section.

Honestly with his scent here still the things I had on my mind seem to vanish. All the stress and worry I was doing just a few seconds ago are now gone.

What is it about this man that has me all off kilter?

Maybe Lola was right calling him a mystery man, because he definitely is one. Never a guy came close enough to the wall around my heart until now, and last night I could actual feel it wanting to crumble.

At some point, I will probably call Shane just to check on Tanker. There is a deep part of me that has this overwhelming need to check to make sure Tanker is still doing well may take over. Plus, it is good practice to make sure the patient I seen and monitored is doing better.

I walk out from the back and get to seeing patients again through the afternoon. Lola walks up a moment later and hands me the mail.

"It came early today." I laugh and Lola nods.

"Yes, but you won't like the one letter." She sighs.

I look through and sure enough the annual convention is planned for this year. It is going to be out of state this year and it is my year to go. Jovi went last year.

Normally, I don't mind going but the last time I went there was one veterinarian that kept hitting on me. Otherwise, I have always enjoyed them and built a broad area of friendships to help within the states. So, that was not a lie to Shane but something told me to keep the last event I went to quiet.

Once again, something about Shane tells me he is very protective from the small time I have got to know him.

"Where is it going to be held this year?" Jovi looks over my shoulder.

"Same as last year." I sigh.

"The main board of veterinarian medicine is not an hour from our little town of Blue Sky's. It makes no sense to be so far out." Jovi shakes his head.

"Like every year it is in a different section." I huff out.

"Do you have a dress for it?" Lola looks over at me, while she locks the front door.

"Yeah, just something out of my closet. I figure I can wear one I have, better than buying a new dress for a one time a year event." I nod.

A/N---
Hey Hey Guys!!!

Do you think Samantha's thoughts on Shane are right? With him seemingly protective and being a mystery?

Will the convention go smoothly for Samantha this year?