49. accepted

Happy Wednesday!

****

"Look, this one's purple. It'll look so pretty on you." Avie kneeled down in the nail salon to show River the color nail polish that she suggested.

It was the weekend again and River was excited to spend the day with her mother. In fact, this whole girls' day was her idea. After being so attached to JJ and living with only him for a certain amount of time, it was no surprise that River wanted some girl time.

"I do not like that one, Mama. I want dis one!" River picked up a different color and held it up to Avie.

Avie stood and examined the color. It was probably the ugliest green a girl could have possibly chosen. River was no girly girl but she definitely was not a 'tomboy'. She actually loved wearing skirts, playing with her dolls, and had an obsession with flowers. This green was out of her comfort zone and Avie could not tell why.

"You like this one?" Avie held the lime-green nail polish and looked at River.

River nodded then turned her head to the nail polish rack again, "Actually I want this one." She picked up a royal blue color that was much more River's style.

Avie chuckled and put the lime-green one back and took the blue one from River, "Okay."

"Dada loves blue." River followed behind Avie as they walked to the chairs that they were guided to. Avie smiled as she listened to her daughter. Even when River wanted time away from JJ, Avie knew their little girl held her father so close to her heart. "And baby Skye haves blue eyes like me. But Daddy says him's eyes are bluer." River sat down as she looked up at Avie who sat beside her.

"That's right. Skye's eyes are just a little bit lighter than yours and Daddy's but you all have blue eyes." Avie answered.

River squinted her eyes at Avie and leaned closer, "You have brown eyes, Mama."

"I do." Avie giggled.

Two nail techs walked over and introduced themselves to Avie and River. They got settled and began the entire process. River giggled the entire time and fidgeted her fingers throughout her manicure. And when the pedicure started, River could not contain her movements. Avie laughed at her but tried her best to refrain knowing that the nail techs were getting impatient with the four year old. But Avie loved how happy River was to be there.

Now Avie and River sat across from each other at an outdoor table at The Brew, Avie's old job that sat right below their apartment. Avie held an iced coffee in one hand and her pastry her in the other as River sipped her chocolate milk, thinking it was like Mommy's coffee, and held a cupcake from the bakery section.

"Tanks for the cupcake, Mama." River spoke as she sloppily wiped her lips from the chocolate milk mustache that formed upon her upper lip.

Avie giggled, "Of course, baby. I'm so happy you wanted to spend the day with me."

"Yeah," River swallowed a piece of her cupcake, "Daddy told me I spend too much time with him."

Avie scrunched her eyebrows, "He said that?"

River nodded, "He says I need girl time with you."

Avie relaxed and grinned softly.

"I wanted Skye to come but Dada says he's not a girl."

"No, no he's not, Riv."

~~~~

"Where's your girls, J?" John B asked as he watched his blonde friend approach the hot tub.

JJ held Skye on his hip in one hand and a case of beers in the other. He swung Skye's diaper bag over his shoulder and let it fall onto the grass, "It's guys day, man. Why do you think I told you not to tell Sarah or Kie?"