10. brother

"I think it's a great idea for all of you to get together." Amelia said and placed a plate of food in front of her daughter who sat with a sleeping Skye in her arms, "And hey, whos knows? Maybe it'll help you and JJ get closer."

She was visiting her parents and youngest older brother when she had decided she needed advice on what to do this weekend.

"Yeah," Avie whispered. She'd love to admit that she wanted to be close with JJ again but her logic was stronger than her heart. It would be ideal to be close with JJ, friends even, trying again. But it wasn't realistic in their current reality. She was still hurting and risking that feeling all over again wasn't something she was willing to do.

Amelia sat across from her at her kitchen table after cooking dinner for her, "Look, sweetie. I don't know everything that happened between you and JJ or even you and your friends," and Avie intended to keep it that way, "but I do know that those friends stuck by you both through everything. I can't even remember every single thing you guys have been through together but I remember how strong you all once were. Even you and JJ."

"Mom, I'm not getting back together with him." Avie played with her food with a fork as she held Skye in one arm.

"I'm not saying that. But things have been getting better between you two and you can't deny it. You deserve to be on good terms with him and I believe seeing your friends will help rekindle that."

Avie wanted desperately to deny everything her mother was telling her and not go, not get closer with JJ. She hurt her friends, hell they both did, but she couldn't deny that she missed them. She couldn't deny that it would be good for her to get out, hopefully re-spark her friendships and even develop a better co-parenting relationship with her ex boyfriend. It would be the least she could do for her children's sake.

"Does he ever say anything to you?" She asked softly without looking up from the plate, "Like when he drops Riv off?"

Amelia shook her head, "He's pretty quiet. He talks to your brother a lot, though, that I do know."

"Ash?" She looked through her eyebrows at her mother.

"Mhm."

"Hm." Avie looked back down at her food as she thought.

Amelia chuckled, "You really think he talks to Daylon?"

Avie smiled slightly and rolled her eyes, "Definitely not."

"I think Daylon accepting JJ into the family was enough for him."

"Yeah, god forbid he talks to the father of his niece and nephew." Avie joked.

Amelia laughed.

"Where is he anyway?" Avie spoke before finally taking a bite of her food.

"Oh," Amelia rolled her eyes, "He's been talking to someone recently. He won't tell me anything, though. I try to pry it out of him and he just loses it! I think he stopped taking his meds." She folded her hands together and let them rest on the table as her eyes gazed down.

They both remembered when he was first diagnosed. It felt like a fever dream as they thought back to that era of time; the Thomas family always mad at JJ, Avie had just found out she was pregnant, school was starting again soon. All while Daylon lost it all and finally got the help he needed.

He had gotten so much better after that. He still had his phases but had changed immensely thanks to his meds and, of course, his niece.

But the passed few months, around the time Avie and JJ nearly lost their friends, Daylon hadn't been around much. He still lived at home with Amelia and Rian but rarely ever spent time there. He was out of the house a lot and lost his patience quickly when either of his parents tried to question him. He had met Skye once; the day after he was born at the hospital and that was it. Avie hadn't seen him since.