39. twice

Avie never found herself getting jealous over the girl that JJ had slept with while they were broken up. It was gut wrenching, yes, but it was not the girl she was ever jealous of or mad at. The girl did not know and Avie did not know the girl.

And quite frankly, Avie was so mad at herself for slipping up with River's savings that she more so began to blame herself for JJ sneaking off that night.

She was furious but not jealous.

Though in this moment, JJ may beg to differ.

He chewed his bottom lip anxiously as his girlfriend awaited a response, sitting across the table from him.

"Well?" Avie raised her eyebrows, still leaning back in her chair with her arms crossed over her chest.

JJ sighed as he turned to glance at the girl who stared before then looked to Avie again.

"Is that who you fucked?"

"Avie!" His eyebrows furrowed as he looked around to check if anyone heard her. "You don't gotta say it like that."

"So, it is?" She confirmed.

He looked back to the girl and recognized her from the two nights he spent with her. It was nothing more and JJ knew nothing else was going to happen between them but he could not blame his girlfriend for thinking otherwise during their break. He sighed again, "Yes, yeah it is."

Avie scoffed and rolled her eyes, "She's blonde."

"So?"

"You don't like blondes."

"I never said I liked her."

"You liked her enough to fuck her."

"Avie!" He felt like he was scolding his daughter for starting such an immature argument over something that was long over and in their past.

And the truth was, Avie had healed from it. For so long she spent her time mourning what she had lost with JJ, especially after he hooked up with the touron just five after the breakup. And that was all Avie knew. She was not aware of who JJ was with the night of River's panic attack when she slept over her mother's house.

So, it stung like a motherfucker but Avie began to let her wounds heal in order to make amends with JJ. It lead to such a beautiful, new start between them and she was so grateful. She could not imagine being able to fix everything that went wrong between them yet here she was, forgetting he ever touched any other women.

Avie chuckled and sat up in her seat, relaxing her arms, "It's fine, JJ." She took a sip of water.

"Are you fucking with me?" JJ leaned in more to the table as he lowered his voice. He could barely read her. One moment she seemed bothered by his past hook up and the next she was cracking jokes about it.

"I'm not mad about it anymore! I was just teasing you." She grinned as she bit her straw, "I don't like that you did it but it's in the past." She sipped her water again as her eyes trailed off, "I never thought you'd go for blondes but," she shrugged, "beats me."

He rolled his eyes and sat back in his chair as his hand made harsh contact with the table, "I don't like her, Avie. I was angry and it was a mistake. She doesn't matter, it only happened twice."

Avie froze, her bottom lip brushing her straw in her cup. Her eyes narrowed as the realization began to sink in. She slowly backed away from her cup and sat up straight.

"Twice?" She tilted her head slightly and stared at him with a blank expression.

JJ looked around for a second, "Yeah?" He could not understand why she was so stunned. He figured she knew it was not just one night. Not that it was anything more but sometimes hookups happen multiple times. It meant nothing to him. He was fueled by anger and loneliness back then.