29. danger

Happy Wednesday! :D

****

Ashton arrived at Avie and JJ's apartment the following day. He had come to visit his niece and nephew but after a few hours of nonstop playtime with Uncle Ash, the two had fallen fast asleep. River laid on her parents' bed as Skye slept soundly in the cot beside her.

"Jeez," Ashton sighed out and plopped himself down on the couch, "kid is fuckin' crazy."

"Which one?" JJ sat on the opposite end of the couch.

Avie sat between them and hit her boyfriend's chest as she giggled.

"River, man. She doesn't stop." Ashton joked as he was exhausted from how much River enjoyed their playtime. All she seemed to do was climb him like a jungle gym or make him flip her a thousand times in a row. That and Uncle Ash brought her a cupcake filled with all the sugar that riled her up hours ago. This must be her sugar crash.

"That's because her uncle gave her a cupcake." Avie raised her eyebrows at her brother as if she was his mother.

"She deserved it." JJ shrugged.

"True." Ashton pointed at JJ.

Avie shifted as some negative thoughts began to make their way into her mind. She could not help but think of how much Daylon and Kie had hurt her and lost her trust. Her life was finally going smooth and she could not see how she was going to get passed this. This was detrimental to their friendship. She was not sure if things would ever be the same again.

As for Daylon, it was over. He had done this too many times in the past and this time was extreme. He had never come this close to killing her. All while he was macking on her best friend.

Avie was disgusted with him.

"Um," She squeezed her hands between her thighs as she looked down, "have you heard from Daylon?" JJ placed his hand on her lower back and comforted her, knowing this conversation was going to be quite difficult for her.

"Uh," Ashton raised his eyebrows as he scratched the back of his head, "no, not really. No.."

She looked at her brother, "That wasn't convincing."

"It's the same shit, Avie, I already told you. He wants to go to rehab."

"Daylon wants to go to rehab?" JJ leaned forward to look at Ashton, "He wants to go?"

"Mhm." Ashton nodded.

"Nah," JJ stood up and began pacing, "that piece of shit deserves to rot in prison. He don't need fuckin' rehab. He needs punishment. Did you see what he did to your sister?" JJ paused in his steps to look at Ashton, "She was bruised for weeks! He threatened to take her away from me! From my family.."

"JJ," Avie pulled at his wrist.

He ignored her and kept his focus on Ashton, "You think a little vacation is gonna fix him? He's gone through this shit already!"

"Relax, man. I'm not defending him." Ashton rolled his eyes.

"Really? Because-"

"JJ!" Avie shouted, "Would you let him speak?" She loved how protective he grew over her and how much he wanted her to be safe, but she wanted her brother to finish speaking.

JJ looked at her. His eyes softened before he huffed and sat himself back down beside her.

"Listen, and don't jump at me, bro." Ashton sent him a warning, "I was just as pissed as you were. I even gave him a few more punches that day you beat the shit outta him."