4. panic

"I don't know what you want me to say!" River heard her father shout at her mother as she watched them. Her eyes darted between them as they exchanged words. It was not often she caught her parents arguing as they were always careful but tonight their emotions got the best of them.

"I want you to apologize, JJ!" Riv looked to her mother who held a worried expression on her face. It was clear she was in distress but the child couldn't make out what it was.

"I already did! Like a hundred times now but I can't take it back just like you can't take back fucking up River's life forever!" She instantly looked at JJ whose veins popped out of his neck from the anger that overtook his mind. He was frustrated for he regretted what he did but could not turn back time.

"I did not fuck up her life forever!"

River had no idea what this was all about. Hearing curse words fly out of her parents mouths at such an intense tone of voice was unsettling to her mentality. She felt her hands begin to shake as she looked down, not understanding her feelings.

Her parents voices soon turned to muffled sounds in her ears as her breath hitched, suddenly feeling as if everything was closing in around her. Her eyes began to pool over as her chest caved in, another hitched breath being let out.

River's breaths were now short and staggered as her eyes darted around the ground, unsure of what was happening. She could not seem to get words out of her mouth as she looked between her parents that did not see her panicking.

As if on cue, she came back to reality, Avie and JJ's voices clear again and able to see vividly, letting out a loud cry from the trauma that coursed her body.

Both Avie and JJ's heads snapped to Riv on the couch, noticing her unstable breathing patterns as she cried.

"Look what you did!" JJ looked at Avie and gestured towards their daughter.

"Not the time, JJ!" Avie rushed over to River who looked at her mother with fear-ridden eyes, "River, it's okay. It's okay." She knelt down and rubbed her palms over her little arms to stop her from shaking, "I'm here."

River continued to let out loud sobs as she cried. She looked at her father who knelt down in front of her as well, her eyes nearly screaming for help as they widened.

"What the hell happened?" JJ asked Avie as he watched her attempt to soothe their child.

"She's panicking." Avie responded quickly.

"Wha- why?" He asked as his head turned to Avie.

"She.." Avie went to answer but it stung her heart knowing the reason, "Our fighting.. it freaked her out."

JJ's eyes trailed down to the ground as guilt entered his body, "We promised not to." He whispered.

His eyes darted back to his daughter when she let out another loud cry, reaching her arms out towards her father. He instantly wrapped his arms around her small frame, lifting her into his embrace and standing up with her. She wrapped her legs around his torso and her arms around his neck as his large arms stayed wrapped around her body to hold her up.

"Fuck." Avie whispered to herself as she stood up and watched the two. She regretted getting carried away in her argument with her ex boyfriend, accidentally allowing her daughter to watch.

"Sh, baby, it's okay. It's alright." JJ held her tight against him as she cried, "I'm sorry, Rivvy, I'm so fucking sorry."

She let out another sob before sniffling, signaling that her breathing was going back to normal.