42. pickup

Sorry if this is boring! Next chapter will be better. My school work is getting the best of me and taking out so much of my creative energy.

****

JJ put his truck in park after arriving back at the preschool later that afternoon. As he and Avie began to unbuckle their seatbelts, quiet whimpers sounded from the backseat of the truck.

JJ looked over at Avie.

Avie looked at JJ. She threw her head back against the seat and closed her eyes.

"Just take him in with us." JJ suggested.

"He's hungry; he can't wait, J." She began to pull herself from the back of the seat and climb through the two front seats to get to where Skye was whining from.

JJ moved his head after almost being bumped by his girlfriend's hip. He looked at her bum and gave it a light tap.

"JJ!" Avie whisper-shouted as she sat down in the back.

He chuckled, "I couldn't help it! It was right there." He motioned with both of his hands in front of his face.

She sighed as she shook her head and began unbuckling Skye from his car seat.

Skye reached his arms out to her as he pouted his lips and whined a bit more.

"It's okay, baby. You hungry?" Avie pulled down her top to reveal her breast as Skye's breathing increased and a smile grew on his lips, pulling himself closer to latch. He calmed down instantly and melted against her body, growing heavier in her hands. He gripped her skin in one hand and her shirt in the other, clinging to her for more comfort as he nursed.

"He's just like me." JJ pretended to cry and wipe a tear.

Avie laughed lightly then waited, silence filling the car for a moment. "You goin' to get Rivvy?"

"I'm waiting for you."

She looked out the window, "Parents are already going in. We don't wanna be the last ones." That would not be a good look considering they were probably the youngest out of all the parents at drop off this morning.

"I can't get her alone. She'll wanna see both of us." JJ told her as he thought of River being disappointed if her mother was not there to pick her up. He told her they would both be here at the end of the day.

"He's too heavy to carry in there while he eats. You're gonna have to go alone." Avie looked down at Skye and brushed some of his small hairs back with her palm.

JJ bit his lip as he stared back at her, noticing the growing ache that Avie was beginning to show. It was obvious that she wanted to be there to pick up River from her first day of preschool but with Skye feeding now, she knew that was not going to be possible.

It hurt JJ a bit when he thought of himself not greeting River after such a big day. He could not wait to see her face when she walked out of her classroom. He was beyond eager to see her run up to him and give him the biggest hug knowing that she probably missed her Daddy all day. It made JJ's heart burst with excitement but that excitement dwindled knowing that Avie was not going to see her right then and there.

Sure, she would see her in the car but it was not the same. JJ knew that.

Avie felt it.

"Go ahead, J. It's okay." She nodded towards him.

"You sure?" JJ raised his eyebrows.

Avie nodded then gave him a smirk, "I'm still sore from earlier."

He narrowed his eyes at her as a smug grin grew on his lips. He pulled himself out of his thoughts and slapped her knee lightly, "Love you."

After rapidly getting out of the truck and slamming the door shut, to which Avie rolled her eyes at, JJ jogged to the building where his daughter was.